Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: CD ignored and floppy boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2

    CD ignored and floppy boot

    I downloaded the iso dated 10-12-02 and verified the md5 checksum on the file prior to burning to CD. I have set bios to boot from CD but the CD it is ignored and proceeds to next boot device HD/floppy.
    I then created a boot floppy, booted and selected "expert" and see a message as Knoppix tries to locate the CDROM device but fails to locate and then I dropped back to "very limited shell"....
    Please advise what I should do from the limited shell.
    Any other suggestions? Download the latest iso and try again?

    I tried the mount command but this caused a kernel panic. Please let me know if I can assist the Knoppix team by providing any error messages (I know that may be difficult at this stage of my install...)

    System is AthlonXP1800 256MB DDR on ASUS A7V333.
    Nvidia Geforce4 MMX (Leadtek A170TH)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: CD ignored and floppy boot

    --The "very limited shell" is bloody USELESS and IMHO should just be deleted.

    --If you mount your burned CD under Windows, do you see only 1 file on it (the ISO?) If so, you pulled a Dave_Bechtel and forgot to burn the CD using the ISO as a **filesystem image.** "Thank you, try again..."

    Quote Originally Posted by squash_racket
    I downloaded the iso dated 10-12-02 and verified the md5 checksum on the file prior to burning to CD. I have set bios to boot from CD but the CD it is ignored and proceeds to next boot device HD/floppy.
    I then created a boot floppy, booted and selected "expert" and see a message as Knoppix tries to locate the CDROM device but fails to locate and then I dropped back to "very limited shell"....
    Please advise what I should do from the limited shell.
    Any other suggestions? Download the latest iso and try again?

    I tried the mount command but this caused a kernel panic. Please let me know if I can assist the Knoppix team by providing any error messages (I know that may be difficult at this stage of my install...)

    System is AthlonXP1800 256MB DDR on ASUS A7V333.
    Nvidia Geforce4 MMX (Leadtek A170TH)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2
    Dave,
    Thankyou for the tip! It works beautifully now. I haven't had to specify the burn image requirement on freebsd cd's I have burned previously.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  2. Using a floppy to boot the CD - Please Help
    By Total Immortal in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 04:11 PM
  3. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED* picture

(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED*

$1599.00



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4-2400T Reg ECC Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH (32GB/2) Lot 2 picture

SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4-2400T Reg ECC Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH (32GB/2) Lot 2

$157.50



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50