Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mplayer update problems

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Mplayer update problems

    When I try and do an apt-get -s -t unstable install mplayer-686 I now am told that mplayer-686 depends on mplayer-586. On one of my boxes I went ahead and let both the 586 and the 686 versions be installed, but it borked mplayer. I don't want to try this on my laptop if it's going to create problems for me here also. Has anyone else had this problem? Why should 686 depend on 586? It's never been this way before.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Well I went ahead and installed everything and it's working. May have just been my other machine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I had mplayer on hold for a couple of weeks, then I uninstalled the mozilla plugin and updated which also gave an update for mplayer and with the --ignore-hold switch it finally upgraded, so I don't know if it was the update or mozilla plugin that allowed the upgrade. IIRC it also installed 586 but didn't bork anything, so I'll have to see what happens if I uninstall the 586 when I get home.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, got home. Nothing wrong with mplayer, plays fine. But trying to remove -586:
    root@fujibox:/# apt-get -s --purge remove mplayer-586
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    mplayer-586* mplayer-686* mplayer-fonts*

    The mplayer-686 seems to be some kind of dummy package though:
    root@fujibox:/# apt-cache show mplayer-686
    Package: mplayer-686
    Priority: extra
    Section: graphics
    Installed-Size: 88
    Maintainer: Christian Marillat <[email protected]>
    Architecture: i386
    Source: mplayer
    Version: 1:1.0-pre3cvs20040323-0.0
    Depends: mplayer-586
    Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/mplayer-686_1.0-pre3cvs20040323-0.0_i386.deb
    Size: 37398
    MD5sum: fef26c9df121f14a7bb1672a1947c71b
    Description: transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
    Dummy package to upgrade to the new package mplayer-586

Similar Threads

  1. testing 3.9 w/ unionfs and apt-get update, upgrade- problems
    By nosknoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
  2. apt-get update problems
    By indocafe in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 06:57 PM
  3. apt-get update problems
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 03:31 AM
  4. 3.1 to 3.2, burn problems, update
    By fina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 07:16 PM
  5. D-Link DI-604 firmware update and problems afterwards.
    By eporue in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99