Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mplayer update problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Mplayer update problems

    When I try and do an apt-get -s -t unstable install mplayer-686 I now am told that mplayer-686 depends on mplayer-586. On one of my boxes I went ahead and let both the 586 and the 686 versions be installed, but it borked mplayer. I don't want to try this on my laptop if it's going to create problems for me here also. Has anyone else had this problem? Why should 686 depend on 586? It's never been this way before.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Well I went ahead and installed everything and it's working. May have just been my other machine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I had mplayer on hold for a couple of weeks, then I uninstalled the mozilla plugin and updated which also gave an update for mplayer and with the --ignore-hold switch it finally upgraded, so I don't know if it was the update or mozilla plugin that allowed the upgrade. IIRC it also installed 586 but didn't bork anything, so I'll have to see what happens if I uninstall the 586 when I get home.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, got home. Nothing wrong with mplayer, plays fine. But trying to remove -586:
    root@fujibox:/# apt-get -s --purge remove mplayer-586
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    mplayer-586* mplayer-686* mplayer-fonts*

    The mplayer-686 seems to be some kind of dummy package though:
    root@fujibox:/# apt-cache show mplayer-686
    Package: mplayer-686
    Priority: extra
    Section: graphics
    Installed-Size: 88
    Maintainer: Christian Marillat <[email protected]>
    Architecture: i386
    Source: mplayer
    Version: 1:1.0-pre3cvs20040323-0.0
    Depends: mplayer-586
    Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/mplayer-686_1.0-pre3cvs20040323-0.0_i386.deb
    Size: 37398
    MD5sum: fef26c9df121f14a7bb1672a1947c71b
    Description: transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
    Dummy package to upgrade to the new package mplayer-586

Similar Threads

  1. testing 3.9 w/ unionfs and apt-get update, upgrade- problems
    By nosknoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
  2. apt-get update problems
    By indocafe in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 06:57 PM
  3. apt-get update problems
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 03:31 AM
  4. 3.1 to 3.2, burn problems, update
    By fina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 07:16 PM
  5. D-Link DI-604 firmware update and problems afterwards.
    By eporue in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo Thinkbook 14 inch (256GB, Intel Core i7 8th Gen., 1.80GHz, 8GB) Laptop - picture

Lenovo Thinkbook 14 inch (256GB, Intel Core i7 8th Gen., 1.80GHz, 8GB) Laptop -

$429.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$249.99



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Yoga 7 2-in-1 14AHP9 AMD RYZEN 5 8640HS 3.5 GHz/ 512 GB/8GB Win 11 Touch picture

Lenovo Yoga 7 2-in-1 14AHP9 AMD RYZEN 5 8640HS 3.5 GHz/ 512 GB/8GB Win 11 Touch

$393.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50