Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: problems with tulip

  1. #1

    problems with tulip

    I cant seem to find a copy of tulip that will load. they all say that they are for a diffrent version of the kernal. I seem to be running 2.4.22-xfs. I have found one for 2.4.22 but it wont work. PLEASE HELP ME, I have been working on this for over 10 HOURS STRATE!

    P.S. Im kinda a noob to linux

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: problems with tulip

    Quote Originally Posted by KawaiiDragon
    I cant seem to find a copy of tulip that will load. they all say that they are for a diffrent version of the kernal. I seem to be running 2.4.22-xfs. I have found one for 2.4.22 but it wont work. PLEASE HELP ME, I have been working on this for over 10 HOURS STRATE!

    P.S. Im kinda a noob to linux
    There is no need to be "finding" a tulip driver for the kernel it is already included it should be as simple as using modprobe tulip as root to load the module and have it available for use. What kind of network card do you have??

  3. #3
    It didn't seem to come with it. but I will try that command and get back to you.

    Oh and Im useing a Linksys LNE100TX



    __________________________________________________ ___



    ok so I tryed that and it says that there isn't a copy of Tulip.o in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/tulip

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by KawaiiDragon
    It didn't seem to come with it. but I will try that command and get back to you.

    Oh and Im useing a Linksys LNE100TX



    __________________________________________________ ___



    ok so I tryed that and it says that there isn't a copy of Tulip.o in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/tulip
    That is weird most of the cards I have are tulip and they always work and the module should be included in knoppix what does the output this command grep TULIP /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs in a console window (the shell on a monitor in the taskbar) show you it should look similar to this from my machine.

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# grep TULIP /boot/config-2.4.24.040105
    CONFIG_TULIP=m
    # CONFIG_TULIP_MWI is not set
    # CONFIG_TULIP_MMIO is not set
    And you did use lower case letters right not modprobe Tulip but modprobe tulip?


    You may want to use lspci -v in the console window to see if the card is getting an irq, what it looks like here.


    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# lspci -v
    [snip ..]
    
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
    
    Subsystem: Unex Technology Corp.: Unknown device d020
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
            I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
            Memory at dffefc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
            Expansion ROM at dffa0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
    The relevant output of what it looks like when you use lsmod in the console window if the card is in use.

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    [snip ..]
    
    tulip                  38368  0
    crc32                   4096  1 tulip

  5. #5
    god Im stupid , I forgot that Im useing the built-in ethernet on my mobo... acording to the lspci -v comand its a "nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet controller"



    any ideas for that?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by KawaiiDragon
    god Im stupid , I forgot that Im useing the built-in ethernet on my mobo... acording to the lspci -v comand its a "nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet controller"



    any ideas for that?
    You will need to either go to nvidia's site and get the proper driver then compile it or you can get re-masters of knoppix and I think the latest version of knoppix as well has the forcedeth ( I believe that is what it is called spelling may be wrong though) open source driver for the card that can be used. Alternatively you could unplug the cable from the onboard and put it in the linksys and knoppix would find and use the card or is there just the one card in the machine and you made a mistake with the make/model if this is the case you could buy a $10 cheapie netcard most of them I have gotten are tulip based and detected immediately.

  7. #7
    thanks for your help. I now am posting from me unix computer ^_^. thanks again

Similar Threads

  1. How do I modify Tulip network card driver for Knoppix
    By rcpilot in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 01:54 AM
  2. DEC Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel V2.6.x
    By rec9140 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 12:25 AM
  4. how to enable tulip while starting knoppix
    By rtsm in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
  5. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



Dell OptiPlex 3080 SFF Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard HMF7C picture

Dell OptiPlex 3080 SFF Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard HMF7C

$49.99