Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "Run as Root"

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80

    "Run as Root"

    Hei

    I came across a neat little 'KDE improvement' called "Run as Root" on KDE-Look.org today, which puts an "Open as Root" icon on Konqueror's right-click menu popup when you are using the File Management view... it was exactly what I wished for earlier in the day, when I had to logout & then in again as root, to edit fstab.

    There are no doubt other ways, in which case I would be happy to hear of them..

    regards

    ps look under KDE improvements

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: "Run as Root"

    Quote Originally Posted by cintra
    Hei



    There are no doubt other ways, in which case I would be happy to hear of them..

    regards
    Open a console window (the shell icon on a monitor in the taskbar) then type in su and enter key you will then be asked for the root password type it in and enter key again you can then open any file you want for editing as root in that console window.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: "Run as Root"

    or you can press alt-f2 and enter
    Code:
    sudo kwrite /etc/fstab
    probono

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    51:45:20N, 0:40:44W
    Posts
    19

    su never asks for a password!

    Am I doing something wrong? When I type
    Code:
    su
    it never asks for a password.

    If I type
    Code:
    $ su
    # passwd
    then I can enter a root password, but it does not ask me again for it, when I exit and re-enter su.

    What is the correct and safe way of su-ing?

Similar Threads

  1. Problem logging into "Root"
    By maxcruiver in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. Konqueror or emacs as Root from a "su"-bash window
    By cumulus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
  4. Problem with "root=" kernel command-line argument
    By LukeyBoy in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
  5. What is the default "/root" password?
    By villain_2006 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89