Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how to clone whole 120 gb disk with alll partitions to a ne

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    how to clone whole 120 gb disk with alll partitions to a ne

    Hi, I have new 200 GB hdd and I would like to copy all partitions from old 120 GB one. I have mandrake, knoppix, fedora and slackware system partitions and few for storage (one ext3, one fat and one ntfs partition). How do I clone all this to new hdd with preserving system layout and it must work and boot as nothing changed!

    Can I resize partitonsa on the fly, so when I copy one from old hdd to new one I define new size? Can I add extra space to one of the partitions or I can only add new partiton from extra 80 GB space?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You should be able to use tar on each partition, and then stick them on new partitions on the new drive (provided you don't change anything). You can use different partition sizes, but the stuff from hda1 on the first drive will still need to be in hda1 on the second drive (or else you'll need to change /etc/fstab and probably your bootloader too)

    And you'll want to reinstall the bootloader to the MBR ion the new drive once you've transferred everything.

    To create tarballs-
    tar -cpvzf filename.tgz /dir /dir /dir /dir


    Untarring tarballs-

    cd to new location for files
    tar -xpvzf filename.tgz

    I believe this is pretty standard useage for tar, though the -p option preserves permissions and timestamps.


    You can do the same thing in one stroke with dd, but I'm not familiar with the syntax.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    Check out partimage. I recently started playing with it and it works great.
    johnb

Similar Threads

  1. 7 days to clone 250GB HDD - What am I doing wrong?
    By Highland in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 03:53 PM
  2. Partitions on one disk appear blank in Knoppix
    By chrisjhurl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
  3. How to disable automount of hard disk partitions
    By Myster_fr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:25 AM
  4. ??? Clone a user to a different name ???
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 04:35 PM
  5. Clone Win Drive?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00