I have a new Sony Vaio (its at work, I'm at home, so don't remember the exact model, but its brand new) - not one of those lightweight ones, but the big one with on-board CD. I have an external usb 2.0 hd hooked up thru a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card for extra file storage.
Problem 1 - I'm using Knoppix 3.2 (could be the issue, but.....) and it booted very slowly (about 5 min.). At first I tried to boot to command prompt only and it worked, but I was obviously getting only usb 1.1 speed to the hd. Also, though I used the cheatcode "knoppix dma 2", dma was actually not enabled (from dmesg). Why? How do I fix this?
Problem 2 - I let the thing boot to the GUI and it seemed that I was now getting usb 2.0 speed, but still no dma acceleration. Why? How do I fix this?
These problems don't exist on any other computer model that I've used Knoppix on.
Thanks in advance.![]()

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00
MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49
GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler
$250.00