Try knoppix toram xmodule=nv vsync=?? hsync=?? screen=800x600 replace the ?? with the proper values for the horizontal and vertical refresh rate for the panel.
Hey Guys,
I've been running Knoppix v3.3 at work flawlessly, however at home the OS outputs bad screen image when the GUI loads. What is happening is like when on a regular computer you set a resolution that your monitor can't take and all you see is an unstable shade of the GUI and can barely see the mouse pointer moving, with the only difference that this happens as soon as the GUI loads.
I am not a Pro, however after searching a bit and reading the advanced startup codes, I tried booting specifying:
1- knoppix screen=800x600 (just in case)
2- knoppix toram
...with no luck.
Here are some of the relevant specs from my machine:
Intel 875PBZ Mobo
Intel P4 2.8 HT
1Giga Corsair XMS DDR RAM (can you say "toram"?)
nVidia GeForce FX5950
NEC 1760NX LCD Monitor
Two Hitachi/IBM 80Gb SATA on RAID-0
What I was thinking is that there could be some sort of Driver incompatibility, perhaps I could trow a new driver on a floppy and use a command similar to F6 when you install Windows 2000 that specifies alternate driver usage at boot up?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Keep up the great work.
Walter
Try knoppix toram xmodule=nv vsync=?? hsync=?? screen=800x600 replace the ?? with the proper values for the horizontal and vertical refresh rate for the panel.
Thanks for the advice Stephen, I'll try it tonight when I get home from work and let you know.Originally Posted by Stephen
Walter
Stephen, it worked great. Now I am rebooting several times gradually increasing resolution and refresh rates as an attempt to squeeze as much video quality as possible.
Many thanks for the tip.
Walter
Good to hear when you get it where you want then you can go into the Knoppix menu and use the save configuration to floppy item and then when you boot you can use knoppix floppyconfig to use the same configuration every time.Originally Posted by Treppiede
Great tip Stephen, that will surely save me some time during boot. I am reading into it right now.Originally Posted by Stephen
Regards,
Walter

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$477.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 32GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$538.99
HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 64GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$654.99
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 8GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 2TB SATA HDD
$494.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99