-
Ethernet install killed modem connection.
I have a fairly new install of Knoppix/Debian and it worked fine. I hauled it to work, connected it to our T1 line via the motherboard 100mb ethernet and did an apt-get upgrade so as to have everything up to date.
Brought it home and set up the modem, and that worked fine also. Actually did some apt-getting even though I am on a slow dialup. Then I installed my 1000mb Linksys ethernet card, which took some doing.
Now, my modem will still dial out, handshake and connect, but I get nothing but timeouts when I try to ping or start up the browser. From the activity of the lites on the ethernet switch, it is obvious that, although it dialed out and connected via the modem, it tries to communicate via the lan. The ethernet install has obviously repointed my route(s) somehow, even though a route -n command when connected shows the following...
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
nas40.2ar1.Leve * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default nas40.2ar1.Leve 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0
I have tried every routing table entry that I can find to change (except the right one, obviously) - no luck. Even went back to an old yellowed copy of PPP setup that I used years ago before Red Hat made it so easy. (Use it or lose it).
I feel that if I uninstall both the ethernet and ppp, and just reinstall ppp it will work, but after the hell of finally getting the high speed ethernet to work with no help from the manufacturer, I want to leave that for last.
Hints, anyone?
CptKrf
-
I had similar problems a while back. I had to down eth0 to get the requests going out over ppp0, which of course means no network while online. That sucked. I worked around it by using pump --no-gateway on my home LAN, which worked fine for me but might not help you if you need a gateway on your network at work.
-
I am making slow progress, as I have time to work on it. If I first issue a route del default eth0 then I can come up ok. Still haven't made it automatic or correct yet.
Years ago when slackware came on floppies and ISPs never heard of Linux on the desktop, I went through this same thing for days on end before I finally got on line and by that time I had a very in-depth understanding of PPP. Along comes Red Hat and almost automatic dialup connection and I fall into the ole Use it or Lose it category. I can barely remember how to spell PPP now 
Continuing...
CptKrf
Similar Threads
-
By Lachinger in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
-
By babelbrennt in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
-
By pterandon in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
-
By rw in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:20 PM
-
By RigasW in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.
$625.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99