Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix Newbie Booting problem- Blank screen

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Knoppix Newbie Booting problem- Blank screen

    Hi

    I downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso and burnt on a CD.
    I rebooted earlier today with the new Knoppix.
    Boot promt comes up and after pressing enter, screen went blank and stayed blank for a few minutes and no activity from CD or HD. I finally had to restart the computer.

    I looked around for booting guides but did not find anything.

    Have I missed something?
    Or does the kernel hang?

    It is worth adding that I had a kernel hang with Slackware 9.1 installation CD and the boot after installation during the mouse/keyboard recognition. I had to remove Slack 9.1 and install 9.0. Slackware 9.0 Installation CD boots fine and installed fine.

    The only way I could get Slackware 9.1 to boot was to remove the USB keyboard and mouse and replace with PS2 k&M. Other USB devices such as Webcam did not cause any problems.

    I have currently winxp on one drive and Slackware 9.0 on the second drive.

    Could the problem with Knoppix be the same problem I was having with Slackware 9.1 and the new kernel?

    Spec: PackardBell/AMD athlon XP 1900+/512RAM/40gb winxp+120gb Slack 9.0 HD

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    there is a "cheatcode".
    when the boot: comes up type
    boot:knoppix nousb
    sadly that requires you not using a usb keyboard/mouse but... they might be detected later...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the reply.

    I did go through the same procedure with Slack 9.1 and it did boot but I could not get the USB to work after.

    Are we sure that this is the same problem?

    In Slack, screen would print out as it went through the boot and would stop after the keyboard.
    In Knoppix, screen went blank after pressing enter. Is that normal? What does the boot sequence look like?

    Is there any guide, info on the net?

    Many TIA

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the boot sequense should be text scrolling on the screen.and messages apearing.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6
    Tnx. That is what I thought.

    I did not get the scrolling text. I will try again to boot the CD next time. Has anyone else had this problem?


  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6
    I did try it again. The boot scroll starts with .....................
    after the sencond line and as the third line of text starts, screen goes blank and that is the end.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    press F2 when boot: appears, then you get a list of "cheatcodes)
    I would try
    boot:knoppix nousb noacpi noapm noscsi
    hope it helps, maby noagp aswell , that might be bad but... not hard to start again.
    if cheatcodes do not work. hmm, have you tried floppy boot?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    you may have a bad disk . . . . it happened to me

    try the disk you got in another computer if you can if it dosent work you will prolly have to download and burn another copy

    you can also check the md5 checksum i think but i have never did that

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thank you. I have to try it, once I find another computer.


  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    knoppix testcd

    i found that cheat code you can try it and test your cd to see weater it is good or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Blank screen problem
    By K-Zodron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 06:23 PM
  2. booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load
    By trotfox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
  3. When booting blank screen
    By JoeNEEDSHELP in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
  4. Blank Screen after booting from Knoppix CD
    By frastitute in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 06:59 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y picture

Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y

$270.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC picture

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC

$150.00



TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000Mz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory picture

TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000Mz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory

$97.76