Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: via8233, anyone?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    via8233, anyone?

    Has anyone managed to get sound in Knoppix with the via8233 onboard sound card? If so, please, please, tell me how! (I'm talking of a HD install, here, with 3.1)

    Driving me nuts!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1
    You need alsa driver instead oss one that knoppix uses. Havent tryed it yet in knoppix but in my gentoo it works perfectly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Trying that: so far no joy with rc.6 so I'll try rc7.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I tried rc7 and still no joy: I get the same old "no /dev/dsp" messages and unable to load messages from that godaweful sndconfig "tool".

    Has anyone managed to get _anything_ needing the alsa drivers to work in Gentoo? If so, please tell..........

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    6
    Hi, at the moment you have to use the rc5, rc6 and rc7 do not work I
    hope they will work in the rc8 or in the next version of alsa.

    There are some users of the via8233 reporting the bug:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...64&atid=390601
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...64&atid=390601
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...64&atid=390601

    Try rc5 or wait for the next release.

    Cheers,

    Ramon Acedo

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    Have you managed to handle ethernet card at via motherboard? I'm trying with via epia v800a and while booting it says:

    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod via-rhine failed

    Output from "lspci -v"

    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (ver 51)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 15
    I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
    Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    I'm using Knoppix 3.1 from January 2003.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Torhout, Belgium
    Posts
    3
    Hello there,


    I am using knoppix 3.2 and I'm having the same sound problems with the via 8233 chipset, does anybody can help me with this, I'm using this from cd, is there any option to use my sound ?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Torhout, Belgium
    Posts
    3
    OK I found something else but still no solution.


    When I try to configure my soundcard (the via 8233 chipset onboard) sndconfig finds it but seems to be unable to load the modules from the knoppix cd although they are there, however I found somewhere on the cd another place with modules who are packed and there is a via8233 module available BUT and here comes my question.

    Since the knoppix cd is write protected I am unable to place the via8233 module there, so I placed it in my /home/knoppix directory and now I want to add this directory ( yes ADD) to the /lib/modules/2.4.40-xfs/dirvers/sound directory where the other modules are.

    How do I do this

    Dirk

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Try this, as root cd to where the module is located, and then:

    insmod ./via82cxxx_audio.o
    (or whatever the knoppix module is named, just make sure to put the ./ dot-slash in front of the name)

    Note: from what I've read there is not just ONE via8233 audio setup, it depends on the implementation (support chips etc.) on the motherboard.

    rock

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    41
    sigh

    So now I sit waiting for a release that fixes this error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99



RDS Remote Desktop Service For Server 2025, RDS 2025 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS Remote Desktop Service For Server 2025, RDS 2025 50 User/Device Connections

$69.00