Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What`s wrong with Lilo?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    What`s wrong with Lilo?

    Hello everyone!

    I`ve got a problem with lilo.
    I`ve installed Knoppix v.3.3,and agreed to install lilo.
    When I tried to boot lilo doesn`t even start(I think).
    My PC just boots WinXP as earlier.
    Here is a copy of my lilo.conf .
    I didn`t change anything.

    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda
    P.s:Sorry if it`s a stupid question. I`m a newbie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    lilo help

    Hi....you have to make a reference in lilo.conf to show that there is another OS to choose from. First, do you have one hard drive with windows & linux on it? Or do you have 2 separate harddrives with Windows on one and Linux on the other? Below is a copy of your lilo.conf. At the 3rd paragraph, where it says "other", thats where you put "WinXP" or whatever other OS you are running. Then you need to make a reference to what Hard Drive it is on.....I have a separate hard drive for WinXP and Linux. I am not sure what you would do for a single HDD installation. First you must say what your setup is, one HDD or 2. Then look in the Hdd Install forum and you will more than likely find what to put in your lilo.conf.



    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: What`s wrong with Lilo?

    Quote Originally Posted by diginik
    Hello everyone!

    I`ve got a problem with lilo.
    I`ve installed Knoppix v.3.3,and agreed to install lilo.
    When I tried to boot lilo doesn`t even start(I think).
    My PC just boots WinXP as earlier.
    Here is a copy of my lilo.conf .
    I didn`t change anything.

    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda
    P.s:Sorry if it`s a stupid question. I`m a newbie.
    You need to reinstall lilo. Boot Knoppix cd and mount the partition you installed knoppix to like so:

    mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7
    chroot /mnt/hdb7
    lilo
    CTRL+D (to leave chroot)

    If it errors then you have a problem w/ /etc/lilo.conf. BTW- DO NOT use the desktop icons to mount your /root partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. LILO installed to wrong MBR?
    By foamrotreturns in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
  3. Wrong MBR for Lilo when using koppix 3.7 HD installer script
    By devellino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 03:16 AM
  4. OK~ what am i doing wrong..
    By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
  5. Don't see what I am doing wrong
    By Jera in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



AYANEO AM01 AMD Ryzen 7 5800U Gaming Mini PC Retro Classic DP DDR4 32GB 1Tb picture

AYANEO AM01 AMD Ryzen 7 5800U Gaming Mini PC Retro Classic DP DDR4 32GB 1Tb

$400.00