-
Use local files during apt-get instead of internet?
I have installed 3.3 to HD using debian way. I have a Lucent winmodem that didn't work unti I downloaded and installed the source (what a lot of work!) Now I can do apt-get and everything OK. I'm still really new to this debian stuff- If I download big files from a friends faster net connection to my handy-dandy keydrive and put them in a directory, say /debian, how do I get apt-get to look there first and resolve any dependancies over my dialup when I'm connected? I want to install kernal sources, and other big stuff, but it's kind of a downer to see how long it will take. I've tried to update my sources.list file, but I can't seem to get the syntax right, because even with the .deb files there, it still looks to the net. Do I have to do an apt-get update to re-read the sources.list file when I make a change?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Check the man pages for apt-get (man apt-get), for how to specify the install source file.
Another way: browsing in Konqueror, right click on a .deb file should be an option to install it using kpackage. Kpackage is just a front end for apt-get.
Similar Threads
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 05:09 AM
-
By yadwin in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
-
By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
-
By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 01:12 AM
-
By merlin in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2003, 03:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige
$93.82

Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White
$21.35

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67