Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Use local files during apt-get instead of internet?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    5

    Use local files during apt-get instead of internet?

    I have installed 3.3 to HD using debian way. I have a Lucent winmodem that didn't work unti I downloaded and installed the source (what a lot of work!) Now I can do apt-get and everything OK. I'm still really new to this debian stuff- If I download big files from a friends faster net connection to my handy-dandy keydrive and put them in a directory, say /debian, how do I get apt-get to look there first and resolve any dependancies over my dialup when I'm connected? I want to install kernal sources, and other big stuff, but it's kind of a downer to see how long it will take. I've tried to update my sources.list file, but I can't seem to get the syntax right, because even with the .deb files there, it still looks to the net. Do I have to do an apt-get update to re-read the sources.list file when I make a change?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Check the man pages for apt-get (man apt-get), for how to specify the install source file.
    Another way: browsing in Konqueror, right click on a .deb file should be an option to install it using kpackage. Kpackage is just a front end for apt-get.

Similar Threads

  1. LOcal FTP for installing and apt
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 05:09 AM
  2. Locked /usr/local/bin directory
    By yadwin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
  3. rc.local
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  4. rc.local and symlinks
    By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 01:12 AM
  5. Local network not recognized
    By merlin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 03:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY picture

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY

$1400.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50