Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Bittorrent .deb won't install - python dependency

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14

    Bittorrent .deb won't install - python dependency

    I'm running an older knoppix hd install and whenever I try to install bittorrent .deb file, or do an apt-get, I get dependency errors. The main problem is my system thinks I have python 2.2 running. I tried removing it with apt-get and dpkg but it kept giving me dependency problems. So I manually installed python2.3 from binary, and it seems to have installed okay. Python2.3 seems to run fine, but bittorrent .deb still says I have 2.2 installed. So I manually removed anything with Python2.2 on my system but still I"m getting the (@#*& dependencies. Here's the output from the dpkg install:

    root@media1:~/installers# dpkg -i bittorrent_3.3-3_all.deb
    (Reading database ...
    dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `python2.2' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

    dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `python2.2-tk' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

    dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `python2.2-imaging' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
    109298 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace bittorrent 3.3-3 (using bittorrent_3.3-3_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement bittorrent ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bittorrent:
    bittorrent depends on python (>= 2.3); however:
    Version of python on system is 2.2.2-6.
    dpkg: error processing bittorrent (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    bittorrent


    Please does anyone know how I can get past this hurdle and allow me to install bittorrent on my machine without upgrading the entire HD install? bittorent works fine on my other 3.3 install.
    Here's the output when trying to install with apt-get:

    root@media1:~/installers# apt-get install -t unstable bittorrent
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Sorry, bittorrent is already the newest version.
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
    bittorrent: Depends: python (>= 2.3) but 2.2.2-6 is to be installed
    libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.3.2.ds1-10) but 2.3.2.ds1-11 is to be installed
    libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.3.20030719-4) but 5.3.20030719-5 is to be installed
    locales: Depends: glibc-2.3.2.ds1-10 but it is not installable
    mozilla: Depends: mozilla-browser (= 2:1.6-1) but 2:1.3-4 is to be installed
    Depends: mozilla-mailnews (= 2:1.6-1) but 2:1.3-4 is to be installed
    Depends: mozilla-psm (= 2:1.6-1) but 2:1.3-4 is to be installed
    Depends: mozilla-xft (= 2:1.6-1) but 2:1.3-4 is to be installed
    python2.3: Depends: python (>= 2.3) but 2.2.2-6 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).


    Thanks for any and all help!

    JC

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14

    More evidence

    Apparently bittorrent was installed on the machine. But still, it won't recognize/use Python correctly. I tried running a torrent but got this error:

    root@media1:/usr/bin# ./btdownloadgui /root/Desktop/Play_Casino.torrent
    -bash: ./btdownloadgui: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory


    So I edited btdownloadgui's first line

    #!/usr/bin/python

    to

    #!/usr/bin/python2.3

    Which resulted in:

    root@media1:/usr/bin# ./btdownloadgui /root/Desktop/Play_Casino.torrent
    'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./btdownloadgui", line 7, in ?
    from BitTorrent import version
    ImportError: No module named BitTorrent


    So now I'm completely lost. I'm going to give it another day and if noone answers or suggests a solution, I"m giving up and re-installing knoppix from the 3.3 distro.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
  2. Dependency problems
    By dobell in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 12:35 PM
  3. dependency problem
    By triveditej in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM
  4. Apt-get cannot install BitTorrent :-(
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 03:15 PM
  5. Python version?
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99