-
Junior Member
registered user
HD install questions
Hi all,
After giving up on a Gentoo install (I'm too much a newbie). I decided to try a HD install of Overclockix. I'm using a spare box with Intel 810 chipset and 20 gig drive. I'm using a kvm switch to connect my USB optical mouse, ps2 kb, and lcd monitor with my main XP box. I have a D-link router to share my cable connection.
Overclockix live CD runs fine. I started using it because it has the nforce2 net drivers and ran well on my main box. I decided to sick with it for a HD install omn my 2nd machine because it seems to be more current than the regular Knoppix
On the second box I first tried to partition a 512 meg linux swap and the rest EXT3 and use the new Knoppix installer with "Knoppix style" install. My swap partition was not recocgnized so I tried the "Debian style" This used the existing swap partition but mounted the EXT3 partition as ext2 and I had no network. I reformatted ext2 and tried again. Still no network.
Finally I reformatted with one large extended partition and divided this into the swap and EXT2 partitions. Now the "Knoppix style" install recognized the swap partition and everything installed fine and network is up.
After some research I decided I want the the Debian style install because I read that with it I could use apt-get to install and update packages. I have not yet tried the new partition table (using the 20 gig extended) with the Debian style install.
So what's up with this? If I reinstall again with the new partition table (using the extended partition) will the Debian style install work with my network? Is the Debian style install better? Do I need it to use apt-get? Would I have better luck with the regular Knoppix live CD install?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Luke Riches in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 08:15 AM
-
By mike19 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 01:11 AM
-
By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
-
By bigjohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 12:33 PM
-
By Slo in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$305.01

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99