Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How do you recreate initrd?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    How do you recreate initrd?

    I accidentally removed my /boot/initrd.gz and now my Knoppix install won't boot.

    The error I get at boot time is:

    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
    VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or 08:02
    Pelase append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

    This is the stock 2.4.24-xfs kernel and I tried recreating it by running "mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs" but that doesn't appear to be the same way the original initrd was created.

    Does anyone know how the original /boot/initrd was created?

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Did you run lilo? I have a feeling lilo is missing, thus it can't find the boot block. As for initrd.gz, you could copy the one from the cd to your hard drive, but I don't know if that'll work. I think it's the same or failing that, boot with your cd, mount your hd install partition, and chroot to it. Then try the mkinitrd command that way. I've never used that command, as I've always complied my kernels the debian way.

    HTH,

    Durand

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    Did you run lilo? I have a feeling lilo is missing, thus it can't find the boot block. As for initrd.gz, you could copy the one from the cd to your hard drive, but I don't know if that'll work. I think it's the same or failing that, boot with your cd, mount your hd install partition, and chroot to it. Then try the mkinitrd command that way. I've never used that command, as I've always complied my kernels the debian way.
    Thanks for the reply,

    Yes, I've rerun lilo and with the initrd not there, you obviously have to remove the 'initrd' line in that stanza for lilo to run successfully. But without that line, it kernel panics and with it in there and pointing to the new initrd that I created, it still causes a kernel panic.

    I've compiled kernels hundreds of times, but don't have a clue as to why the mkinitrd process I've used in the past isn't working now (which is why I'm wondering just how the stock initrd was created). :/

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Never done it. Does this help?

    http://www.edseek.com/archives/000042.html

Similar Threads

  1. Initrd after kernel rebuild?
    By juerg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
  2. how to recreate initrd.img for 2.4.26 in knoppix 3.4?
    By tnorala in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
  3. lilo and initrd=
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
  4. What is this initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
  5. initrd or not?
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98