Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Internet Explorer 4 for Unix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10

    Internet Explorer 4 for Unix

    I'm a web developer and I've installed Knoppix 3.2 to a partition on one of my hard drives, partially so I could test web pages on Linux browsers. I need to know if I can install Internet Explorer 4 for Unix on my Knoppix partition. Has anybody done (or tried) this? If so, how? As some of you probably know, Microsoft tries to make it impossible to install separate versions of <abbr style="cursor: help;" title="Internet Explorer">IE</abbr> on a windows machine, so testing it there is out of the question.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Simon.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible (I can't even remember what brand of Unix it was available for).

    But is anyone likely to be using it anyway?

    A possibility would be to run IE 4 (I've heard that 4 and 5? run OK) under Wine. If you can get hold of a 16bit version of IE it should run just about perfectly with Wine.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    55
    Simon,

    I can't see why it can't be done using wine.

    Look at http://www.frankscorner.org/

    Go to the section on 'Working Apps' 'Internet'.

    You'll only see ie5 and ie6 listed there, but you may be able to use the instructions for these on the ie4 cab files.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    55
    Just a wee word of warning....

    I tried to install by running the setup file for ie6 from a CD. after about 20 minutes, (around 70% of the install) I found that the remaining 4 Gig on my HD had been entirely consummed and, when i typed 'df' into the console, my HD was at 100% capacity!

    However, this was all in a tmp file and using shut down cleansed the /tmp directory and restored my HD space.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I tried to install by running the setup file for ie6 from a CD. after about 20 minutes, (around 70% of the install) I found that the remaining 4 Gig on my HD had been entirely consummed and, when i typed 'df' into the console, my HD was at 100% capacity!
    I had exactly the same experience. I didn't make any further progress.

    Two websites I did use regularly only work with, sorry, I mean are 'optimsed' for IE5 - shamefully one of these is the UK Jobcentre plus (Uk goverment) website on which I want to use the job search function.....

    The other is just an inconvenience.....

    Stu.....

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    If you can spend a few bucks Crossover Office installed IE6 darn near perfectly from the internet and seems to work perfectly (if rather slowly). I think it is like $60 but it is worth every penny. It installs and runs a boatload of windows software.

    As far as regular wine goes I used to use it by installing windows 98 to it's own partition and running it from that partition.

Similar Threads

  1. look i got windows 95 on unix under xp rofl screenies
    By jimbob in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 10:01 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 05:03 AM
  3. unix command expert here ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:35 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 02:42 AM
  5. Misc. Installations: Seismic Unix/gnuplot
    By g-ahmadi in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital CompacTape II Tape Cartridge TK-52 TK-70 picture

Vintage DEC Digital CompacTape II Tape Cartridge TK-52 TK-70

$29.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00