Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: ?Help - Dual boot - xp/knoppix - 1 drive - no floppy

  1. #1

    ?Help - Dual boot - xp/knoppix - 1 drive - no floppy

    I am trying to dual boot my new dell 8600, I have one 60gig harddrive. I currently have XP Pro installed. My partition plan:
    1st primary is 40mb dell diagnostics (not to be messed with)
    2nd primary is 30 gig ntfs xp pro currently working
    3rd primary /boot 125 megs
    4th primary
    logical 1 / 20 gig
    logical 2 swap 1 gig
    logical 3 7 gig fat partition to share between windows and linux

    I have read lots of docs and stuff so here are my questions:
    1)
    I see everyone suggests creating a boot floppy booting to it then doing one of these
    dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1 to copy their boot sector to the floppy and then to windows. I have no floppy to boot from. I was thinking is there a way i could install boot from the cd, mount the paritions and then run this command and copy it to my shared fat32 partition. Possible? Anyone know how?


    2)Assuming the above is possible....is there a way to use /boot or this a no no with knoppix? Also for my partition table, other than my ntfs partition do i need to make another partition bootable?

    -thanks

  2. #2

    Update

    The current standings are 100 points for me 0 points for computer. I win computer loses(for now).

    My basic scheme worked. I loaded knoppix, rebooted and made sure windows still worked - it did. Then the only way I could figure out to do some linux stuff to try and make this happen was to boot into rescue mode of redhat 8.0. I then copied the boot sector over to the shared fat32 partition. Added the changes to boot.ini and rebooted wham I can boot linux.

    Now I have to figure out how to get my network up it was running when i booted the knoppix cd but nothing now i bot the broadcomm 440 card. And I also have a dell 1300 wireless. I also somehow need to get acpi running not looking forward to that. Hopefully i can get net and then install the 2.6 kernel that has to help.

Similar Threads

  1. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  2. can't boot from hard drive but only from floppy
    By hnash53 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 03:29 AM
  3. boot from usb hard drive on laptop with no floppy
    By holyboy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
  4. Newbie: Boot from floppy & USB CD-ROM drive
    By dboffin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 10:01 AM
  5. Knoppix on C: Drive, boot from floppy
    By boehmb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00