Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Moving /home

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    No improvement

    Hi, Fingers99!

    Thank you for your suggestions -- unfortunately they did not change the results!! It seems that /dev/hdc4 will just not get mounted even though the entry is there in fstab. When I mount it at /home as root and then login as the user everything is OK. I don't know why this is happening.

    Hi, Stephen!

    Thank you also for your suggestions. I will try them next and report back.

    I am hoping to get this to work as it is on the computer that my wife will be using and she has no desire to learn such Linux things as mounting as root, or performing other Linux admin-type tasks. She is a relative computer noobie who just wants to use the word processor, surf and do Email activities. Until now she has only been using Windows and I want to set this up for her to be as easy to use (but much more secure when on the net).

    Hoping that you all have a nice Easter Holiday.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    post your whole fstab here, and whole output from fdisk -l (as root). soething is weird, it should work. i have done it several times, actually once as long ago as today.

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    55
    >soething is weird,

    Yeah, it really seems to be a little left field.

    I think you are refering to my earlier post when you say you followed a "HOWTO".

    I was merely describing how I solved a particular problem. I am not an expert on linux, though I do have a number of years experience.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    The HOWTO I used

    Hi, Rink!

    I don't believe that I know about your post . The HOWTO that I followed is listed in the Knoppix.net Docs tab under the title "HomePartitionHowTo -- How to move your /home to a new partition". I will be trying some of the other suggestions that people have made in this thread and will post my fstab and output from fdisk -l (as root) as soon as I can get back on the machine (my wife is busy using it for some important work and I will have to wait until it is free).

    Regards,

    -- Dr. U

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Moving "HOME" and "VAR" -- AND-- GUI i
    By radnor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 02:58 PM
  2. moving to 3.4
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Moving up from 3.3 to 3.4
    By liebrand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
  4. Moving my home directory to another partition?
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
  5. Moving server
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS

$228.32



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75