Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Moving /home

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    Moving /home

    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.4 CeBit (remastered by iso-top) to my HDD and it is really nice . The HDD already had a 5 GB /home partition from a previous installation of another Linux distribution. Unfortunately I did not know about the trick for modifying .knoconf (or whatever it's called) and so the /home partition was not used.

    I then found the HOWTO about moving /home to its own partition. I followed all of the steps exactly as described. However, after rebooting I still end up using the old /home rather than the one with its own partition. Running mount also shows that the partition has not been mounted

    Is there something missing in the HOWTO or is it no longer able to be done this way I really do not want to reinstall the system now that I have added and configured so many things...

    Thanks in advance.

    P.S.: in case I missed an answer to this somewhere in this forum, then please excuse me and just point me to the answer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    have you changed the fstab?
    to be able to help further it would be nice if you could post putput from
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    (and coment where you want your /home)
    then post your fstab.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I had this problem when I ran out of space/wanted to use a new partition for my home directory. I changed fstab, but without going into detail, the change to fstab stopped me from viewing my existing /home directory, i.e. I remounted my new volume over the old /home directory. I puzzled for ages over this and in the end I didn't change fstab but instead I put a soft link in the home directory to the actual directory I wanted to use. (On the other partition).

    This works but I bet it's not the correct way to do it! I expect you would have problems as you add new users, but this is no problem for me as I am the only user!

    Stu.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you mke a folde called home2 and mount the new partition there, i will assume ext3 as filesystem.
    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hdXY /home2
    as root do a cp -avx /home/* /home2/
    then unmount the /home2 change fstab so that the new home will be mounted under /home.
    that is add the line.
    Code:
     /dev/hdXY /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    replace the XY with the apropiate numbers. this SHOULD work. perhaps a
    Code:
    chown -R username:users /home/username
    is necesary (not likely) but that should be a quick operation...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you still want your old home, mount that under the users /home/username directory with fstab,
    put line
    Code:
    /dev/hdAB /home/username/oldhome ext3 defaults 1 2
    as above change the AB to apropriate value.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7
    First of all, thanks to everyone for replying!!

    To OErjan: I changed fstab and the relevant lines are

    /dev/hdc3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    (where the old /home resides), and

    /dev/hdc4 /home ext3 defaults 0 0

    (where the copy of the old /home resides (made as specified in the HOWTO with

    cp -Rp * /mnt/hdc4/

    executed as root from the old home directory). In response to your other request, the output of fdisk -l is "Konnte /dev/hdc nicht öffnen" (english: "Could not open /dev/hdc"). I will try your suggestion about creating /home2 etc. shortly and will report the results.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    Nothing worked

    OErjan,

    I tried your suggested /home2 approach -- without success . What happened was that I could no longer login as the <username>, but instead got sent back to the login screen. I logged in as root and could mount /dev/hdc4 at /home but apparently the system could not do this.

    I'm baffled

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Don't be baffled.

    First, rename the old home (old_home) will do. Next create a new home directory alongside it.

    Next mount the new home temporarily (something like -- adjust to suit your system) mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc? /home

    Copy everything you want from /old_home to /home

    edit your /etc/fstab. You want a line something like:

    /dev/hdc3 /home ext3 auto 0 0

    the auto here is crucial -- omit it and you'll have to remount it by hand every time you boot.

    Reboot.

    Chances are that you'll only be able to log in as root. Don't panic. As root (hell, use Kde to do it) chown home.

    Once you're sure everything is OK, grab back a little space by deleting /old_home.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The easiest way is to boot the knoppix CD with knoppix 2 dma then once at the command prompt.

    Code:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdc4
    mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt/hdc3
    mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/hdc4
    cp -Rp /mnt/hdc3/home/* /mnt/hdc4/
    Then edit the /etc/fstab and use this line for new /home.

    Code:
    /dev/hdc4       /home       ext3            defaults        0       2
    Reboot (shutdown -r now at the knoppix command line) and you should be using the new /home partition.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Wow!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moving "HOME" and "VAR" -- AND-- GUI i
    By radnor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 02:58 PM
  2. moving to 3.4
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Moving up from 3.3 to 3.4
    By liebrand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
  4. Moving my home directory to another partition?
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
  5. Moving server
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 PVB464G360C8K RAM Kit #P2 picture

Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 PVB464G360C8K RAM Kit #P2

$349.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB picture

ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB

$149.99