On second thoughts if no one can help with this, are there any known modems that work with Knoppix via PPPoA out of the box? No drivers needed and no compiling?
Hi there
I need help finding/installing a working driver for the alcatel speedtouch USB (frog) modem. I have Knoppix 3.3 but this does not install the driver/let me connect to web from a clean install. I have seen the driver downloads/documentation on the sourceforge page but need help with what to get and how to install it. I am new to linux but am willing to buckle down and learn with a little help. I can't see what I am doing wrong which does not help.
any help appreciated
getting online WITHIN linux would make things so much easier to learn.
regards
DMATT
On second thoughts if no one can help with this, are there any known modems that work with Knoppix via PPPoA out of the box? No drivers needed and no compiling?
The problem with most internal and usb modems is that they are winmodems with drivers doing the work for stripped down hardware. If you want to be sure to get a modem that works, buy an external serial port modem and ask the shop if you can take it back if it doesn't work, even though it should.
There's a script for the alcatel usb here: http://kanotix.com/files/ and you can also use the searchfunction here, just type in speedtouch.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99