Try typing inknoppix xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=1024x768 at the boot screen then enter. You probably only need the xvrefresh=60 cheat code in the line and you can use a lower screen value if you want.
I am struggling to run knoppix on a machine that is my main linux box.
Its starts fine, goes as far as entering run level 5, then I see starting X11, then the screen goes blank and after a while the monitor goes on standby.
The CD and hard drive keep working so I guess its a video card / monitor issue.
The videocard is an onboard ATI 3D rage pro and the monitor a Mag 1595
This occurs with both knoppix 3.3 and knoppix 3.4-ct![]()
I have installed RH 9 and SUSE 9 Pro on this machine before without a problem
I've looked in the FAQs and tried running as VGA=VESA and the other one recommended ( this is from memory so I could have got it the wrong way around)![]()
Can any one point me in the right direction?
thanks a mil
:P
Try typing inknoppix xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=1024x768 at the boot screen then enter. You probably only need the xvrefresh=60 cheat code in the line and you can use a lower screen value if you want.
Stephen you are a star
the xvrefresh=60 did the trick
what was going wrong with the normal boot? and how did you pick that up?
thanks a mil
![]()
It is older hardware that monitor will not do the 72 hz refresh rate (IIRC) at 1024x768 that knoppix tries to use when it starts X. I have an old Acer here that was made around the same time as yours the best I can get it to use is 67 hz.Originally Posted by DinB
![]()
ok that explains it, intersting it was not an issue with RH or SUSE, but now I know
thanks again stephen
Never happened to me with Mandrake either, I have the same ATI card in that machine only Knoppix has a problem with the monitor if I put a more recent model of monitor there it works fine. Strangely enough Knoppix will do 1152x768/60hz on that monitor but no other distro will so go figure eh!Originally Posted by DinB

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99
Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Desktop RAM Memory Kit
$265.00
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz F4-2400C15D-16GVR Gaming RAM
$50.00
Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95
SK hynix 32GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2666V HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$200.00
SK hynix 16GB DDR4 SDRAM DIMM PC4-3200AA 288-Pin
$64.99
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00
SAMSUNG 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB3Q DDR4 Memory RAM *HP 752369-081
$75.00
Samsung 16GB DDR4 3200MHz ECC (1x16GB)
$100.00
LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99