Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: KPPP "almost" works

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    29

    KPPP "almost" works

    Symtom: My Cendyne serial modem, installed some weeks after I did an installation to hdd using Knoppix (2003-11-14-Beta) "almost" works. It goes tearing out, negociates successfully with my ISP, races to the URL I have selected (in either Konqueror or Mozilla- makes no difference), and pries it open. With Google the target URL, the modem has (once) successfully downloaded a 1.5 meg file. But if I ask the modem to go hither-and-yon (giving the browser a new URL, for example), pretty soon, suddenly the speed drops from pleasingly fast to pita slow, as in roughly a hundred to four hundred bytes at a time, coming...drip....drip...drip. It barely registers on the Kppp graph.
    Was ist los ?

    My hardware is competent (serves Win2k reliably). The modem which comes from a US warehouse-ful of bankruptcy stock, works fine for my Win2k.
    The installation-to-hdd went without incident I said "yes, please" when asked if I'd like network and Samba. Haven't developped them yet.
    I don't have any reason to suspect that I have bent the installation. Moreover, I've tried the modem running the cd-os. Same failure.

    Diagnosis, please ?
    And can someone please suggest where I can read up on the diagnostics available in my installation ? I don't seem able to find 'gkrellm' on the disk. And I'm starting to study 'top'.
    TIA,
    Chada

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    29
    PROBLEM SOLVED !
    A bright fellow in the Edmonton Linux Users' Group suggested "Flaky UART" as the problem. So I moved the modem to my second machine, ran a new copy of Knoppix 3.3 (Feb), configured the modem, and it "just works"!
    Funnily, the UART serves Win2k fine. Still. I'll swap it for curiosity's sake. It's on a Shuttle (!) AV61 board.
    I think this newbie has learned a lesson worth sharing: "when at first you don't succeed, try, try again..... NOT !
    I'm convinced that troubleshooting a problem is best done looking in the easy places for solutions first, and trying easy fixes first, before looking for obscure solutions and hammering, hammering away.
    In an hour, I could have switched to my second (or someone else's) machine.....and saved myself a month of frustration.
    chada

Similar Threads

  1. "KPPP Cannot find modem /dev/modem"
    By wsg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
  2. % of PCs where Knoppix "just works"
    By edochan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:20 AM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$349.95