Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 and NTFS write

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix 3.4 and NTFS write

    Hi all,

    I am searching the partition management (creation/resizing) and partition backup/restore solution, able to deal with NTFS partitions. I plan to use the software on the HP nx7000 notebook with the external HDD connected via USB 2.0.

    I have tried Windows-based solutions, but they usually have problems with the restore to the partition, which is currently running.

    I understand, that Knoppix, as a system running from CD, does not use HDD, and does not have this problem, as described above. I only need the read/write NTFS filesystem support, so that I can safely backup and restore my partitions.

    Version 3.4 is supposed to use Captive driver (through Wine?). What is your opinion - is this solution safe enough for my needs described above? I really have important data to backup

    Thanks in advance for your replies

    Tomasz Lisowski

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    If all you want is backup/restore at partition level, I don't think you really need NTFS support at all. Just a dd if=/dev/hdaX of=backup_file would do the trick. However, if you want to get into individual files in the NTFS partiton, you do need NTFS fs. But in that case, I would simply zip/tar the files and later restore them under Windows so just NTFS read is good enough. Capture is only needed for writing to NTFS.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7
    I am afraid, that when using the dd command, that you suggest, I will need the write access to NTFS, if the backup file is located on NTFS.

    Moreover, the write access to NTFS would be even more necessary, if I would like to RESTORE the partition from the backup file, if the original partition is NTFS. Am I right?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    actually you will not even need a fs on the partition, it wil be a PART of the image.
    here you have some more on the subject.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...447&highlight=

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7
    I assume, your comment concerns RESTORING the partition from the image file. What about creating the image file? For this activity I guess I will need the NTFS write support, otherwise I would be limited to making a BACKUP on FAT-32 partitions only (my HDD has only Windows-type filesystems).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    actualy dd wil make a bit by bit copy, both ways, ignoring WHAT it is copying, from, where to, even what it is copying to, the operator must know hat the image file has room enough to exist. read the link i gave you, where i helped "mirror" a failing disk, he had ntfs partitions, it worked ok, no complaints, but for the failing disk giving errors (no big surprise there).

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7
    Yes, I have read your advices about cloning a HDD, but actually I am not going to make a COPY of the partition. I want to have an IMAGE, i.e. a single file with the partition (or volume) contents with the ability to recreate a partition from this image file.

    That's why I am not interested in the command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
    but rather something like
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb/hda_image.bck
    Then I wonder, what happens, if /dev/hdb is an NTFS partition. Probably I need RW access. The same about RESTORING ...
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hdb\hda_iimage.bck of=/dev/hda
    If I have understood you correctly, it should not matter, if /dev/hda is an NTFS partition, of not. Knoppix (without the ability of writing to NTFS) should handle this - right?

    Please comment

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    it worked for him, an image file or partition, nothing realy diferent as far as DD is concerned, it wil make a bootable floppy from a image on a hdd or other way round so...
    i frequently use dd to make 1.722Mb minix, ext2 and vfat floppies from a suitable image, the images where made by me using dd to copy formated floppies to image. the filesystem just follows along (the floppies are unformatted when bought).
    i see no reason it should not work ok for ntfs aswell.
    you might try on a small scale and see if it works, if not i would be surprised.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    I tried dd on Win2000 before. Managed to restore the whole system.

    I dd the Win2000 disk to a blank disk of the same size (you would need one that is the same or bigger).

    fdisk the 1st disk and dd back the image.

    Everything went back to before.

    Don't take my word for it. Test or backup before you destroy the original system. I did it on a test system.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    what I am interested to know about dd is what would be the impact of changing the disk size ? Say originally it is a 40G but the new one is 80G. Of course, the partitions needed to be created again but do I need to recreate the new partition the exact same size as the old one and must it be in the same location too ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to use knoppix 3.8 to write to ntfs?
    By entropy8 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 12:02 AM
  2. Can Knoppix write to NTFS?
    By Arrummzen in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:35 AM
  3. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
  4. NTFS Write? With knoppix 3.3?
    By TheTempest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 08:44 PM
  5. Knoppix NTFS Write is/is not available ?!?
    By bluewhale in forum General Support
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00