Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What Next

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9

    What Next

    I'm a linux noobie and I was very impressed by Knoppix. I installed today on a spare machine. First I tried with Knoppix 3.3 but kept having permission problems with partitioning (using new knoppix-installer). Next I tried Overclockix and got past partitioning but the Debian style install would not work ext3 and then I had no network after installing ext2.

    Next I used HDA1- 500meg swap, hda2- the rest of my 20 gig drive ext3 with the Knoppix style install. This worked fine except I have the whole installon in one partition. I found some instructions for moving things around but did not have the motivation. I never found a good how to for setting up from the start with a good partion scheme but I realize this is a live CD project.

    Next I ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. (upgrade might have been overkill since it is huge and I probably don't need most of the packages, plus I'll be amazed if this doesn't break my install).

    I'm about to run XF89config.

    So what next? Any advice to for setting off in the right direction? I'm not above starting over again, I'm getting good at it

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    If you want to partition differently, it is best to do it before installation. I usually create 3 partitions, 1 swap, 1 reiserfs mounted as /, and 1 reiserfs mounted as /home. You will have to move /home to the third partition and edit /etc/fstab. There is a tutorial for moving /home located on this site. The nice thing about having /home in a different partition is that you can reinstall linux without erasing your personal data.

    Here are things I would suggest after install to tweak things:

    1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to create a list of local debian sources, then "apt-get update"

    2. apt-get install firestarter

    3. Enter the command "firestarter" as root to set up a firewall. After you do this, the firewall will be running and automatically started at boot up.

    4. apt-get install synaptic

    5. Enter the command "synaptic" as root to see installed and available packages. You may want to remove the Knoppix custom graphics, or other files.

    6. Some things to free up space:

    apt-get remove kde-i18n*
    apt-get remove samba*
    apt-get remove koffice-i18n*
    apt-get remove apache*
    apt-get remove bochs*
    apt-get remove libwine nis nessus ethereal

    You may think of others, or not like to remove the ones above.

    7. Add marillat's repository to /etc/apt/sources.list Read instructions on how to do that at http://marillat.free.fr Then you can install mplayer, mencoder, and other multimedia software.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9
    Thanks yates. That's great info. I'll re-partition and do another install when I have time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00