-
What Next
I'm a linux noobie and I was very impressed by Knoppix. I installed today on a spare machine. First I tried with Knoppix 3.3 but kept having permission problems with partitioning (using new knoppix-installer). Next I tried Overclockix and got past partitioning but the Debian style install would not work ext3 and then I had no network after installing ext2.
Next I used HDA1- 500meg swap, hda2- the rest of my 20 gig drive ext3 with the Knoppix style install. This worked fine except I have the whole installon in one partition. I found some instructions for moving things around but did not have the motivation. I never found a good how to for setting up from the start with a good partion scheme but I realize this is a live CD project.
Next I ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. (upgrade might have been overkill since it is huge and I probably don't need most of the packages, plus I'll be amazed if this doesn't break my install).
I'm about to run XF89config.
So what next? Any advice to for setting off in the right direction? I'm not above starting over again, I'm getting good at it
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you want to partition differently, it is best to do it before installation. I usually create 3 partitions, 1 swap, 1 reiserfs mounted as /, and 1 reiserfs mounted as /home. You will have to move /home to the third partition and edit /etc/fstab. There is a tutorial for moving /home located on this site. The nice thing about having /home in a different partition is that you can reinstall linux without erasing your personal data.
Here are things I would suggest after install to tweak things:
1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to create a list of local debian sources, then "apt-get update"
2. apt-get install firestarter
3. Enter the command "firestarter" as root to set up a firewall. After you do this, the firewall will be running and automatically started at boot up.
4. apt-get install synaptic
5. Enter the command "synaptic" as root to see installed and available packages. You may want to remove the Knoppix custom graphics, or other files.
6. Some things to free up space:
apt-get remove kde-i18n*
apt-get remove samba*
apt-get remove koffice-i18n*
apt-get remove apache*
apt-get remove bochs*
apt-get remove libwine nis nessus ethereal
You may think of others, or not like to remove the ones above.
7. Add marillat's repository to /etc/apt/sources.list Read instructions on how to do that at http://marillat.free.fr Then you can install mplayer, mencoder, and other multimedia software.
-
Thanks yates. That's great info. I'll re-partition and do another install when I have time.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119
$292.92

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested
$99.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo MiniDock Portable Mini Dock M7780 Vintage Mac RARE
$136.99

1995 INCOMPLETE Apple Macintosh PowerBook M3037 (APS-76) Power Adapter Mac
$57.00

Vintage MAC Data Desk 101E Model 1069 Keyboard QWERTY Bundle with Box
$99.99

Apple A1243 Aluminum Wired Keyboard Full Sized Slim, Genuine Mac TESTED
$24.95

Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS
$119.00