Open a console as root and type update-modules. That will clear up "the modules is more recent than" type errors when you next boot.
hd install of 3.3 knoppix debian style here - since installing the nvidia drivers (and everything is working fine in that regard) I have a recurrent "theme" in errors upon boot up, the gist of it being:
Apr 11 18:43:33 ecs kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336 Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
Apr 11 18:43:33 ecs insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep
Apr 11 18:43:33 ecs insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
Apr 11 18:43:33 ecs insmod: See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Apr 11 18:43:33 ecs insmod: Module nvidia loaded, with warnings
Apr 11 18:44:04 ecs modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep
Apr 11 18:44:46 ecs last message repeated 4 times
Apr 11 18:44:47 ecs modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep
this appears a lot, more than I think the knowledgeable folks here need to see. Since everything has been working fine, I have assumed noob rule number one: if it aint broke don't try to fix it. But, "Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep" appeared on my totally miserable failures to get lm-sensors going and I wonder if that's the problem. I am too linux-stupid to know if this error is anything to "worry" about, but could one of you experts explain it to me? If it is possibly the reason I am a complete failure at lm-sensor compiling, could you let me know how to fix it? Thanks for any assistance you may offer.
Open a console as root and type update-modules. That will clear up "the modules is more recent than" type errors when you next boot.
update-modules creates a new modules.conf (and backup) timestamped when I run it but, the message continues to appea asthe message is correct in that the modules.conf is newer than /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep. What is invoking /lib/modules/2.4.24-xfs/modules.dep? I am assuming .dep is dependancies and it is interesting as the failures I am getting with i2c lm-sensor compiling at end with depend during compile time. But this is a fresh kernel and I switch back to nv driver as opposed to nvidia which started this whole thing.

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00