Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR

  1. #1

    Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR

    Hello all, I recently got myself into a scrape with a debian installation. Suffice it to say, I cannot boot into either winxp or debian anymore due to the WinXP rescue console's FIXMBR command. So I've loaded up knoppix...

    Recently a similar thing happened to a friend and he used some varient of fdisk /mbr (THAT command does not work) in knoppix under root term to fix the MBR so that he could boot back into windows.

    I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could tell me the command to fix/write a new MBR. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR

    Quote Originally Posted by ChivalricRonin
    Hello all, I recently got myself into a scrape with a debian installation. Suffice it to say, I cannot boot into either winxp or debian anymore due to the WinXP rescue console's FIXMBR command. So I've loaded up knoppix...

    Recently a similar thing happened to a friend and he used some varient of fdisk /mbr (THAT command does not work) in knoppix under root term to fix the MBR so that he could boot back into windows.

    I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could tell me the command to fix/write a new MBR. Thanks
    Boot with the Knoppix CD using knoppix 2 then.
    Code:
     
    mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
    shutdown -r now
    Replace the ?? with the partition number and drive letter of the / partition. When you chroot (change root) and write lilo to the disk it will use the same configuration that was working before if you want to make any changes you should do so before the chroot command.

  3. #3
    I was using Grub before as a bootloader, not Lilo. Will that impact anything? Also, I managed to get into windows by semi-reinstalling debian and editing the menu.lst of grub, but after deleting the partition I just get error 22 from Grub.

    To recap...

    I now have one partition that is NTFS, and a whole bunch of freespace. A Broken GRUB is in my MBR. Is there a method that I could like write a clean MBR of all zeros or something, so that I could boot to my WinXP recovery disk, and have it FIXMBR and write a new bootloader? At this point I'm not interested in reinstalling linux. Thanks!

    EDIT: GOT IT! It turns out FIXMBR will work, but only if any linux partitions have been completely deleted.

Similar Threads

  1. eth0 not working after 'fixing' loopback
    By ibrewale in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. Fixing the keyboard in kdm
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 10:36 AM
  3. fixing initrd boot screen?
    By popcorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 11:08 AM
  4. Fixing up /etc/fstab
    By todsr1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 09:26 AM
  5. Fixing wine in 2003-09-05
    By Fabianx in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS

$129.99



Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF Intel Core i5-8500 3GHz 8GB RAM No HDD No OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF Intel Core i5-8500 3GHz 8GB RAM No HDD No OS

$85.99