-
Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR
Hello all, I recently got myself into a scrape with a debian installation. Suffice it to say, I cannot boot into either winxp or debian anymore due to the WinXP rescue console's FIXMBR command. So I've loaded up knoppix...
Recently a similar thing happened to a friend and he used some varient of fdisk /mbr (THAT command does not work) in knoppix under root term to fix the MBR so that he could boot back into windows.
I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could tell me the command to fix/write a new MBR. Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR

Originally Posted by
ChivalricRonin
Hello all, I recently got myself into a scrape with a debian installation. Suffice it to say, I cannot boot into either winxp or debian anymore due to the WinXP rescue console's FIXMBR command. So I've loaded up knoppix...
Recently a similar thing happened to a friend and he used some varient of fdisk /mbr (THAT command does not work) in knoppix under root term to fix the MBR so that he could boot back into windows.
I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could tell me the command to fix/write a new MBR. Thanks
Boot with the Knoppix CD using knoppix 2 then.
Code:
mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
shutdown -r now
Replace the ?? with the partition number and drive letter of the / partition. When you chroot (change root) and write lilo to the disk it will use the same configuration that was working before if you want to make any changes you should do so before the chroot command.
-
I was using Grub before as a bootloader, not Lilo. Will that impact anything? Also, I managed to get into windows by semi-reinstalling debian and editing the menu.lst of grub, but after deleting the partition I just get error 22 from Grub.
To recap...
I now have one partition that is NTFS, and a whole bunch of freespace. A Broken GRUB is in my MBR. Is there a method that I could like write a clean MBR of all zeros or something, so that I could boot to my WinXP recovery disk, and have it FIXMBR and write a new bootloader? At this point I'm not interested in reinstalling linux. Thanks!
EDIT: GOT IT! It turns out FIXMBR will work, but only if any linux partitions have been completely deleted.
Similar Threads
-
By ibrewale in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-16-2005, 02:29 AM
-
By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 10:36 AM
-
By popcorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 11:08 AM
-
By todsr1 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-12-2003, 09:26 AM
-
By Fabianx in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro
$289.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00