-
Trouble booting CD: No boot graphics, various I/O errors
Hi,
I just downloaded v3.3-2-16 from two different sources, verified MD5 and burned two CDs. Both cause the same problem.
When I try to boot from these CDs, I get a blue screen with a boot: prompt at the top. There are no graphics, just plain white text. So, I tried just pressing enter, and later also tried booting with "knoppix testcd". Regardless, the boot process begins, and goes into a black screen with a graphic of a tiny penguin at the top of the screen. Then it says:
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0
Setting paths I/O Error: dev 0b:00 ....
cloop: read error at ...
cloop: error -3 uncompressing block
Anyhow, the boot process continues regardless of these errors, it continues to get similar errors on each stage, and eventually, it dies on a kernel panic.
I have tried booting these same CDs on another machine, and it works fine: I get a nice graphical bootup screen, and then it boots into a nice desktop.
What could be the problem? BTW, I am not really able to switch hardware between machines at this moment.
The machine having problems is a P4based Celeron 1.7Ghz, with an OEM CD-ROM F563E, and 512 MB RAM. Also, I have been able to create bootcds of TOMSRTBT and booted them without any problems on this machine.
Thanks,
Hobbieman
-
Senior Member
registered user
The fact that it boots on other machines means nothing. I have burned discs w/ the same drive, the same media and the same method for a long time and yet occasionally I will also burn a cosater. I think the media is to blame. Test the disc like so:
boot:knoppix testccd
Perhaps try burning your verified image at a slower speed of 4x.
I also have found some drives that simply do not want to boot a Knoppix disc. It is quite easy to do the so-called 'poor-mans' installation and boot the image directly from hdd if you have the disc space.
-
Thanks for the feedback. I will try the two things you suggested this afternoon, and will post back with the results.
BTW, did you have a typo in the boot command you suggested? or is there really TWO C's in the second word?
-
Ok, so I tried booting my newly burned CD (burned @ 4x), and used the "knoppix testccd" (and also "knoppix testcd", just in case) and I still get the same behaviour as before.
I guess this drive is just one of those which will not boot knoppix. Why is this so though? What is so special about knoppix's boot process that some drives will not work with it?
-
doesn't anyone know what is so special about knoppix's boot process that causes it to fail on certain cdrom drives?
-
Senior Member
registered user
i have a drive that is not even acessible under Win, but in linux it is a perfectly working CDRW... i can't even boot the win2kcd in it, but knoppix, Slackware... work great. and to be even weirder, the disk is not acessible in knoppix, but in slackware...
Similar Threads
-
By Hr.Viktor in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 11:25 AM
-
By achtunga in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
-
By mom2tatjana in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
-
By Polo2883 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
-
By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD
$250.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM
$97.97

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ
$699.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99