Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to Get Midi Working

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    How to Get Midi Working

    Several people have complained about midi not working in Knoppix. I got mine working on a HD install and I thought I would post how I did it for those interested.

    For my sound I am using the Intel 810 + AC97 onboard audio.

    I'm sure there is a command line way to do this but I just did it in the KDE control center.

    Go into the control center.

    Go to "Sound"

    Go to "Sound Server"

    Click on "Start aRts sound server on KDE startup"

    Click apply down at the bottom.

    A message will pop up asking if you want to restart the sound server. Click "Yes".

    You should be able to play midi files with Kmidi.

    I was advised that doing this would fix a problem that I was having with low bit rate mp3's playing at high speed and sounding like the chipmunks. The bad news is that this didn't really work because Knoppix doesn't include the xmmsarts plugin and when I try and grab it, apt-get tries to uninstall 20 packages. I don't want to do that, but the upshot is that by enabling aRts you should be able to play midi files. It worked for me at least.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    Wow

    So you were really able to get your AC'97 to play MIDI? If possible, could you share the drivers?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody get MIDI working?
    By redss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
  2. Midi files
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM
  3. best liveCD for midi?
    By redss in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 08:20 PM
  4. anyone get midi or rosegarden working?
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 06:22 AM
  5. Midi with the SBLive!
    By slicksps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98