-
Senior Member
registered user
opening x programs as su root
In Knoppix installed to the hard drive, it is possible to open X programs from a console program automatically as root. For example, if I login to KDE as a user, open Konsole, su to become root, then enter a command like "kwrite", a new window will open up, allowing me to run kwrite as root.
If I install Debian using the official installer, I cannot open X programs as root. Does anyone know how Knoppix does it? In my normal Debian system, I have to enter the command "xhost local:root" to give root permission to open a display. I would like root to automatically have permission from my user account every time I log on. I know it introduces some security issues, but I don't care. It is very convenient to have the ability to open windows as root from a console.
I know this is a little off topic (sorry).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: opening x programs as su root

Originally Posted by
m_yates
If I install Debian using the official installer, I cannot open X programs as root. Does anyone know how Knoppix does it? In my normal Debian system, I have to enter the command "xhost local:root" to give root permission to open a display. I would like root to automatically have permission from my user account every time I log on. I know it introduces some security issues, but I don't care. It is very convenient to have the ability to open windows as root from a console.
I know this is a little off topic (sorry).
Add this line to your /root/.bashrc you would of course change it to your user name.
Code:
# Allows me to run an X program as root
export XAUTHORITY=/home/stephen/.Xauthority
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks Stephen. I'll give this a try.
Similar Threads
-
By michinom in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
-
By chris-harry in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM
-
By redss in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 03:25 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:04 AM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99