Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: opening x programs as su root

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130

    opening x programs as su root

    In Knoppix installed to the hard drive, it is possible to open X programs from a console program automatically as root. For example, if I login to KDE as a user, open Konsole, su to become root, then enter a command like "kwrite", a new window will open up, allowing me to run kwrite as root.

    If I install Debian using the official installer, I cannot open X programs as root. Does anyone know how Knoppix does it? In my normal Debian system, I have to enter the command "xhost local:root" to give root permission to open a display. I would like root to automatically have permission from my user account every time I log on. I know it introduces some security issues, but I don't care. It is very convenient to have the ability to open windows as root from a console.

    I know this is a little off topic (sorry).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: opening x programs as su root

    Quote Originally Posted by m_yates
    If I install Debian using the official installer, I cannot open X programs as root. Does anyone know how Knoppix does it? In my normal Debian system, I have to enter the command "xhost local:root" to give root permission to open a display. I would like root to automatically have permission from my user account every time I log on. I know it introduces some security issues, but I don't care. It is very convenient to have the ability to open windows as root from a console.

    I know this is a little off topic (sorry).
    Add this line to your /root/.bashrc you would of course change it to your user name.
    Code:
    # Allows me to run an X program as root
    export XAUTHORITY=/home/stephen/.Xauthority

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Thanks Stephen. I'll give this a try.

Similar Threads

  1. kde menuhelp w/ opening terminal programs
    By michinom in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
  2. Sound opening thing...
    By chris-harry in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM
  3. how to reboot with CD drawer opening?
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 03:25 PM
  4. Monitor Shuts Down When Opening X
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. Opening file documents
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$95.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00