Easy. Mount a hard drive, use apt-get w/ the -d flag and burn the .debs to cd.
My home computer has a Knoppix hard-drive install and only dialup access to the Internet. I have a quick Internet connection at work, though.
I would love to be able to boot my work computer with my Knoppix CD and apt-get some big packages to install at home.
Is there an apt-get-burn-it-to-cd-and-bring-it-home-to-install-it strategy that anyone can describe?
Thanks for all help!
Easy. Mount a hard drive, use apt-get w/ the -d flag and burn the .debs to cd.
Got it -- thanks!
I confess that I am pretty much a rote user of apt-get so far, so I'll ask what I recognize is a pretty basic question: After I bring the .debs home, what's the command syntax for installing them?
dpkg -i packagename.deb from the directory the .debs are located in.
HTH,
Durand
Hello,
nice getting to know there's an easy way to get .debs by apt-get that way (I was wondering just about that two days ago).
Please let me understand one thing, however: think of a scenario with two Knoppix-based HD installations, one at home and one at work. They're not necessarily aligned (in that the latter might have been already upgraded several times).
If I launch apt-get -d upgrade on the work PC, it will download only .debs which can upgrade that installation, which might therefore be something different from what I need at home, right? So, what would be very useful is a way of "exporting" an apt desiderata package lists from a PC, put it onto a different one, get (apt-get -d upgrade...) all .debs and save them on a CD; after that, put the CD on the home PC and apt-cdrom...
Is there an easy way to get this?
TnX in advance.

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$56.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2
$125.00
Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 82% Health
$185.00
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp
$32.99