Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I reinstall all the printing software

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10

    How do I reinstall all the printing software

    I can't print anymore in my Knoppix hd-install. When I run from the KDE menu KNOPPIX-> COnfigure-> Configure printer the mouse icon changes to the hourglass and comes back to a normal pointer after 6 seconds. Is there a comprehensive list of apt-get remove followed by apt-get install commands I could use to reinstall all printer related software? Any ideas please?
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Hold up there. Why do you think you need to reinstall software? The menu is nothing more than a link to the application and it should not be inferred that the software has been removed. I don't use KDE (because it does the weirdest things like....oh I dunno losing links from the menu) so I have no idea how to fix it. I think the web interface for CUPS is vastly superior to the kde solution anyway.

    Check if cups is running:

    ps aux|grep cup

    Then simply point your browser to

    http://localhost:631/

    and awya you go.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated! I already checked that the cupsd daemon is running. I got the menus from http://localhost:631/. I have a question (pardon my ignorance) exactly how does that mechanism work? I never typed anything like that in my web browser, so please explain me briefly what is happening.
    Frank

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by toaster2
    Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated! I already checked that the cupsd daemon is running. I got the menus from http://localhost:631/. I have a question (pardon my ignorance) exactly how does that mechanism work? I never typed anything like that in my web browser, so please explain me briefly what is happening.
    Frank
    With the browser using that line you are connecting directly to the CUPS server. This allows you to do pretty much anything you want to configure your printer(s). What exactly is wrong does your printer not show up anymore? If so check /etc/cups/printers.conf and make sure apt has not replaced your configuration with the default one if so then your old config should be /etc/cups/printers.conf.dpkg-old just copy it back over the new one and restart the server (/etc/init.d/cupsys restart as root) and see if that helps.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10
    >your printer does not show up anymore?
    My printer does appear in http://localhost:631/printers and stays in the "processing, accepting jobs" state. I try to print a test page, but it just becomes another job that is processing. I checked the /etc/cups/printers.conf and it is there. I did the /etc/init.d/cupsys restart as you suggested, although I didn't change the configuration file, so I wasn't surprised nothing changed.

    The printer (using the parallel port) was working normally for a few months until the problem showed up two days ago. The printing of a document doesn't get past the processing phase in the http://localhost:631/jobs. (to be more accurate, the first document is in processing, and all the others are pending. I have already removed all priting jobs and sent new documents, but the same thing happens)

    I don't have any classes in http://localhost:631/classes. Is that normal? I read from http://localhost:631/overview.html that "Printer classes are collections of printers"
    What do I put in name, location, description? I put the printer name for the name and description, clicked on continue and cups gave me "client-error-not-possible"

    What do I do next? I can't find the "add class" help anywhere for acceptable things to fill in.

Similar Threads

  1. Help: how can I reinstall kicker?
    By jackiechen858 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
  2. How to remove KDE and reinstall KDE 3.1.5?
    By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 09:51 AM
  3. Reinstall from scratch?
    By bro in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
  4. Reinstall wine
    By dobell in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 01:55 PM
  5. need to reinstall lilo
    By LukeGraham in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95