-
Where is /boot/map file !?!?!?
Hi ! I have Knoppix 3.3, and boot the CD perfect.
Now, I want to put it on the Hard disk.
Fine : I run knx-hdinstall
All goes smooth, (swap is on HDA6 and root is on HDA5) until ..
I do NOT want to overwrite my MBR, so I answer "Install LILO into MBR" with a "no". No floppy neither, as there is none on my machine.
Obviously, in this way I can not boot into Knoppix without the CD ...
Is there a way to tell Knoppix to write the boot record on HDA5, so my Boot Magic (under Windows 2000) could reach it and boot Knoppix ?
I guess I have to run LILO ...
I have in lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda5"
I try to run LILO, but /etc/lilo.conf contains "map=/boot/map" and this file does no exist ...
??? Why /boot/map" does not exist ???
Thankx ! Sebastian.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Boot the CD with knoppix 2 and then.
mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
vi /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf
chroot /mnt/hda5/ /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda5 -v
When using vi after opening the file hit the INSERT key to go editing mode (if necessary) and make sure the root=/dev/hda? is correct as well. To exit edit mode hit the ESC key then SHIFT and ; keys at the same time to get a : prompt in the lower left of the screen and type in wq and ENTER key to save and quit the file if you had to make changes. The chroot command will write lilo to the / partition which is what you want to do instead of the MBR.
Similar Threads
-
By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
-
By rodragon in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 03:55 AM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 05:55 AM
-
By papasi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:03 PM
-
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.
$350.00

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50

✅ Commodore C 128 D ⭐ Motherboard Assy 250477 ⭐ guter Zustand ⚡️
$78.73

*NEW OLD STOCK* COMMODORE PET/CBM 8032 64K EXPANSION MEMORY BOARD PART# 8032099
$650.00

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords
$149.99

Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals
$500.00

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++
$449.99

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99