Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I've broken KDE (again) - help with apt-get dependancies

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    I've broken KDE (again) - help with apt-get dependancies

    I installed Kdict, this required some additional downloads (various K packages) - the net result is that I have broken KDE as, I presume, I have some old bits and some new bits.

    I've tried apt-get install kde, apt-get remove kde, apt-get -f install but I always get stuck with a dependancy, either trying to install or remove it. (I can provide more details, but I think there are more than one).

    Is there the equivalent of the 'just bl**dy do it' button? Or might I just as well start from scratch with a fresh install of Knoppix?

    Cheers, Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
    Then do:" COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep kde" to see if you have some older kde-stuff.
    For the older stuff, if you have any, try: "apt-get -s -t unstable install --reinstall packegename".
    Can you post the errors in the depedencies?
    Or just wait a little longer for the 3.4, I will

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
    Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)

    That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!

    Many thanks, Stuart.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    root@Home:/mnt/hda4/stuart# apt-get -f install
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libxv1
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libxv1
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 750 not upgraded.
    4 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
    After unpacking 295kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 130398 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in package xlibs
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, sometimes it helps to run "apt-get -f install" a couple of times, as well as "dpkg --configure -a".
    For what you have now I would try: "dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb"

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk
    You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
    Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)

    That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!

    Many thanks, Stuart.....
    It configures all the packages that are left unconfigured after an error and you should always do it after you get an error sometimes it is even necessary to install another program to get it to configure them all then remove it again if you do not want it on it system.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Thank you both. I really do have a list of useful commands, hints & tips, I'd never remember what to do otherwise.

    The printing in KDE is hosed, but I'll try to find out why and if unsuccessful, start a new thread.

    Many thanks, Stu.....

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ links broken?
    By kplloyd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
  2. 3.6: unp broken?
    By probono in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
  3. apt-get dependancies !!
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:22 PM
  4. atp-get broken
    By Jux in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
  5. Wine broken in 3.2???
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II AMD AM4 Socket ATX Computer Motherboard NIB picture

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II AMD AM4 Socket ATX Computer Motherboard NIB

$125.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD picture

JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD

$49.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASUS H110M-K/H110M-F Intel H110 LGA1151 DDR3 M-ATX HDMI VGA Desktop Motherboard picture

ASUS H110M-K/H110M-F Intel H110 LGA1151 DDR3 M-ATX HDMI VGA Desktop Motherboard

$70.99