-
Senior Member
registered user
I've broken KDE (again) - help with apt-get dependancies
I installed Kdict, this required some additional downloads (various K packages) - the net result is that I have broken KDE as, I presume, I have some old bits and some new bits.
I've tried apt-get install kde, apt-get remove kde, apt-get -f install but I always get stuck with a dependancy, either trying to install or remove it. (I can provide more details, but I think there are more than one).
Is there the equivalent of the 'just bl**dy do it' button? Or might I just as well start from scratch with a fresh install of Knoppix?
Cheers, Stu.....
-
You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
Then do:" COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep kde" to see if you have some older kde-stuff.
For the older stuff, if you have any, try: "apt-get -s -t unstable install --reinstall packegename".
Can you post the errors in the depedencies?
Or just wait a little longer for the 3.4, I will
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)
That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!
Many thanks, Stuart.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
root@Home:/mnt/hda4/stuart# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libxv1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxv1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 750 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
After unpacking 295kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 130398 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
-
Well, sometimes it helps to run "apt-get -f install" a couple of times, as well as "dpkg --configure -a".
For what you have now I would try: "dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb"
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
stukennedyuk
You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)
That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!
Many thanks, Stuart.....
It configures all the packages that are left unconfigured after an error and you should always do it after you get an error sometimes it is even necessary to install another program to get it to configure them all then remove it again if you do not want it on it system.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you both. I really do have a list of useful commands, hints & tips, I'd never remember what to do otherwise.
The printing in KDE is hosed, but I'll try to find out why and if unsuccessful, start a new thread.
Many thanks, Stu.....
Similar Threads
-
By kplloyd in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
-
By probono in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:22 PM
-
By Jux in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$185.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max
$199.00

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00