Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't get my MA401 wifi card working on Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3

    Can't get my MA401 wifi card working on Knoppix

    I have installed Knoppix onto my hard disk (laptop M700) as i liked it very much. But my wireless network just does not seem to work. I am very new to Linux so i don’t really know where to start diagnosing.

    I know that the card works fines with my Netgear FM114p router because I used to use it with Windows XP.I have no problems connecting to my laptop, to the Internet via router when I am using cables with my 3com PCMCIA network card.

    Is there any chance someone can guide me through the process of getting this card working? Please

    I have taken off all encryption; I have the router set as a DHCP. (Where would I need to go in Knoppix to give the card a static IP?

    The green light at present on the card just keeps on flashing.

    The Knoppix kernel version I am using is 2.4.24 I have also tried to configure it though Wavelan Configuration, looks like I am configuring it wrong somewhere.

    I have also been on the Netgear website and followed the instructions on installing there driver. But it refuses to install. Kernel error?? (driver name: ma401_redhat73_driver)

    I can provide you any information necessary

    Thank you in advance

    Charlie

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    I have just managed to get it working......not exactly sure how. I viewed a few setting using the following commands: - 'dmesg', 'lspci' and the when i entered 'iwconfig' the green LED stopped flashing indicating connectivity.

    Next thing is that i want to setup encryption. How and where would i do this??

    Any suggestions ??

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you run netcardconfig as root, a dialog will walk you through all the settings for your card.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    How do you want to do this, the easy way or the hard way?
    The easy way: open console as root and type: netcardconfig and enter your parameters as necessary.

    The hard way: open console as root and type: iwconfig eth1 essid "router name" key 12345678901234567890123 and press enter. Next type: ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.x netmask 255.255.255.0 and press enter. Finally type: route add gateway 192.168.1.1 and press enter.

    Notes:
    router name is your essid name for your wireless router, key is your 26 character alphanumerical string generated by your router for wep. gateway is your router's lan ip address.

    To keep a static ip, you'll have to edit a file, /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and enter your parameters there. If that doesn't do it, edit /etc/network/interfaces and that should do it. I had both edited so I don't know if it'll work one without the other but in my case both needed to be edited to force it to remain static ip, instead of using dhcp.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks guyz you have been a great help!!!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie126
    Next thing is that i want to setup encryption. How and where would i do this??

    Any suggestions ??
    man iwconfig

Similar Threads

  1. WiFi stops working after HDD install
    By aumel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
  2. WiFi stops working after HDD install
    By aumel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 01:15 PM
  4. Can't See WiFi Card
    By deutschemonte in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
  5. wifi working (cmd line fix)
    By outanet in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 02:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00