If you pressed ctl-alt-f1 to go to another login, and want to switch back, all you had to do was press ctl-alt-f7.
I'm really new: Just installed Knoppix on seperate hd (no lilo). I boot to Knoppix from diskette. From KDE I press C/A/F1 to go to the command line for practice. What command do I type to get back into KDE? I tried "root@tty[\]# KDM" to no avail. Also, several times I installed Lilo to boot into Linux from HDa1 (Windows), which messes around with the MBR, which I do not like. Is there some kind of batch file I can make with DOS to choose which OS I would like to use? Hopefully, in the near future I will be able to totally eliminate Windows from my computer.
If you pressed ctl-alt-f1 to go to another login, and want to switch back, all you had to do was press ctl-alt-f7.
Durand, I tried it, and it works. I have a lot of reading to do.
Thanks
Jesse
Hello:
I'm a relatively seasoned DOS/WinTel user but a brand new arrival to Linux thanks to Mr. Knopper, his dedicated crew and this fantastic linux distro. ;-D
Thank you, Klaus Knopper!
Just last night I was wondering about how to get around the same problem posted by Jesse. Went to shell with Ctrl+Alt+F1 but did not how to get back to the desktop. 8-/
Needless to say, I felt very frustrated as I looked all over but could not find the needed info.
eg:
How to list a directory content the same way I do it in DOS with the command c:\ dir /p ?
Or search all over a disk with c:\ dir *.abc /s ?
I am desperately needing a compendium of all the command line instructions the Linux shell will accept or a dictionary of DOS --> Linux commands so as to make my transition to Linux a bit less rispid.
Thanks in advance,
CIV
You can look at the sticky under General Support: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2398
Here's some explanations:
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
http://www.desktop-linux.net/
"ls |less" , tap space for next page and quit by typing the letter q and use la instead if you want to see hidden files too.How to list a directory content the same way I do it in DOS with the command c:\ dir /p ?
You can search with find,whereis, locate.. ex: "locate .abc" , if you get tons of hits do "locate .abc|less"Or search all over a disk with c:\ dir *.abc /s ?
If locate says database is old do as root: "updatedb" and get a cup of coffee![]()
i would greatly reccomend the floppix labs ( http://floppix.com/labs.html )
Floppix is a linux distribution on two floppies, intended to teach linux in comandline only mode. it is some 37 separate labs with questions and so, must be made by a teacher, it is a good way to start.
below i have listed a few linux=DOS equivalents.
dir /w = ls
dir = ls -l
add an a to list hidden files (ls -al). in linux anything named with a . first is a hidden file (.file).
copy file /new/file = cp /file /new/file
del =rm
add -r after (rm -r) and you will empty everything below that searchpath. add -f and you force the removal.
rm -rf / erases everything on compuer that you have read/write access to, as root that is EVERYTHING.
rmdir removes a directory (must be empty)
mv moves and/or renames a file mv /file /file2 renames the file. mv /file /new/file moves it to directory /new and finaly mv /file /new/file2 moves AND renames the file.
keep asking.
btw the man mv gives more, so does mv -h and mv --help and aporpos mv
to list available comands do ls on these directories,
/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/X11R6/bin
now to list the comands available as root (root, the almighty superuser,aka 0.0 in linux/unix, more powerfull than any admin in windows)
/sbin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/sbin
there are more but tese are confusing enough for now (as you see directories with bin in them are full of comands)
if the lists become too long you can pipe the output to less.
ls /usr/bin|less
to navigate use upp and down arows OR pageup/pagedown.
here to help
OE
hi jesse
concerning a dos-boot-menu:
i'm not an expert but may infos about loadlin does the job. the manual also gives an idea how to to set up a menu
http://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/~lermen/manual.txt
hope this helps, good luck.
andromeda
perhaps this might help some
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...nux-HOWTO.html
this is a fairly good howto on moving from win to linux.
http://www.linux.org/docs/ is a good resource.
so is http://www.tldp.org/
there is TONS of good facts on those sites.
Hello OErjan, andromeda, Markus:
Thank you very much for the replies.
I've been able to advance a bit on my own and these will surely help also.
Finally managed to configure the G400 Dual (!!!) and gotten around to setting up/customizing quite a few of the various aspects of Knoppix and KDE.
Coming from the DOS/Wintel camp, I see that I still have quite a lot to get used to ...
Best regards,
CIV

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$42.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive
$24.99
Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black
$149.00
SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00