May 10, 2004
Latest update
I am able to load the Public 3.4 Knoppix with the 2.6 kernel.
The command line is linux26 acpi=off noscsi.
Everthing works except my USR 5410 wireless PCMCIA NIC
I downloaded the latest 3.4CT knoppix to test the 2.6 kernel.
knoppix lang=us works fine (2.4 kernel)
knoppix26 lang=us loads the image and hangs. no display no disk activity dead.
I tried booting with various options safe expert etc with the same results.
2.4 works, 2.6 does not.
I tried booting the 2.6 on my desktop and it boots successfully.
Any suggestions or more importantly is there anything I can do to provide feedback to resolve this issue.
On another note, when I first got the laptop, I tried 3.2 and while it booted the computer got very hot. I contacted Compaq and was told there is nothing wrong.
A little later, I left a blank floppy in the system and turned it on. When I came back about twenty minutes later the system was again very hot.
A second email to compaq resulted in a request to update the bios.
It appears compaq has integrated the ACPI into windows xp and before the bios update, the fan was only running at minimum speed. After the update, the fan starts (most of the time) running fast and only slows down when the xp boots.
Unfortunately the bios update broke knoppix. Going to 3.3 however restored everything except the ethernet interface. This required a manual startup???
One additional question.
What is the best way to get AMD vs Intel processor support. It seems ACPI is not available unless the kernel is compiled for the appropriate processor.

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00
LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95
Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Samsung 4 X 4GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA SO-DIMM Laptop Memory M471A5244CB0-CWE
$80.00