My apologies for being a total beginner to Knoppix and Linux. My Knoppix CD arrived in the post yesterday; this is my first experience with Linux.
I have a Toshiba TE2300 notebook with XP on the hard drive.
I do not have any trouble booting from the Knoppix CD. The boot-up always stopped when it came to loading the advance power management module, but I managed to figure out the 'knoppix noapm' cheat code and Knoppix now does boot up.
However, I cannot get the mouse or the modem to work. The pointing device on the notebook works and I have been able to browse through the applications, but if I plug in a mouse and boot up there is no response.
In the boot-up text the following message appears:
"Starting X11...[drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
/lib/modules/2.4.24-xfrs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: init_module: Cannot allocate memory."
Can anyone point me in the right direction? As I said, I have no technical knowledge of Linus at this stage. Some documents to read, perhaps.
A hint message says "You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg." How do I locate syslog or dmesg?
Also, is Knoppix writing data onto my hard drive? If so, can I use a USB drive instead? Either way, I want to leave the hard drive alone and use a USB drive to save data. Is there a tutorial on that somewhere in the Knoppix documentation?
Thanks for your help.
Brian McMahon

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
X4TTX Dell PERC H730P SATA/SAS PCIe RAID Controller 0X4TTX
$42.00
Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller
$23.99
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers
$164.95