-
Knew to Knoppix: getting started
My apologies for being a total beginner to Knoppix and Linux. My Knoppix CD arrived in the post yesterday; this is my first experience with Linux.
I have a Toshiba TE2300 notebook with XP on the hard drive.
I do not have any trouble booting from the Knoppix CD. The boot-up always stopped when it came to loading the advance power management module, but I managed to figure out the 'knoppix noapm' cheat code and Knoppix now does boot up.
However, I cannot get the mouse or the modem to work. The pointing device on the notebook works and I have been able to browse through the applications, but if I plug in a mouse and boot up there is no response.
In the boot-up text the following message appears:
"Starting X11...[drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
/lib/modules/2.4.24-xfrs/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: init_module: Cannot allocate memory."
Can anyone point me in the right direction? As I said, I have no technical knowledge of Linus at this stage. Some documents to read, perhaps.
A hint message says "You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg." How do I locate syslog or dmesg?
Also, is Knoppix writing data onto my hard drive? If so, can I use a USB drive instead? Either way, I want to leave the hard drive alone and use a USB drive to save data. Is there a tutorial on that somewhere in the Knoppix documentation?
Thanks for your help.
Brian McMahon
Similar Threads
-
By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
-
By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
-
By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:35 AM
-
By s10237 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
-
By SikNik in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99