Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 2 Newbie Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    2 Newbie Questions

    Ok, I recently make a live cd to boot from but this is my first attempt at linux. There are two things I'm having trouble understanding.

    1) How do I go about creating a permanant home directory for my personal settings and programs?

    2) How does the installation of programs work? For example, I was trying to install AIM and could not understand the directions. (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=)

  2. #2
    If I understand you correctly you've burned a Knoppix ISO image and have booted up into it.

    1. If you don't want to install Knoppix to the hard drive, then you cannot create a permanant home directory on the disk. Knoppix reads directly from the CD and creates a temporary RAM disk. However, there may be a way to utilize a USB memory key to store your settings on. I've not done it, so if someone who has could elaborate...

    2. Likewise, unless you install Knoppix on the hard drive, at which point it becomes Debian, you can't install any other programs.

    All of the above are based on Knoppix 3.3. Did that answer your question?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    Yeah you answered very helpfully. All your assumptions were correct. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I can live with it. I have a lot of learning to do.

Similar Threads

  1. newbie questions
    By thrustan in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
  2. Newbie with questions!
    By cabobrett in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
  3. Newbie questions
    By d_jedi in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
  4. newbie questions
    By pez_king in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM
  5. newbie: 3 questions
    By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$164.98



Juniper EX Series EX2300-C-12P - switch - 12 ports - managed picture

Juniper EX Series EX2300-C-12P - switch - 12 ports - managed

$305.80



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$345.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99