-
2 Newbie Questions
Ok, I recently make a live cd to boot from but this is my first attempt at linux. There are two things I'm having trouble understanding.
1) How do I go about creating a permanant home directory for my personal settings and programs?
2) How does the installation of programs work? For example, I was trying to install AIM and could not understand the directions. (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=)
-
If I understand you correctly you've burned a Knoppix ISO image and have booted up into it.
1. If you don't want to install Knoppix to the hard drive, then you cannot create a permanant home directory on the disk. Knoppix reads directly from the CD and creates a temporary RAM disk. However, there may be a way to utilize a USB memory key to store your settings on. I've not done it, so if someone who has could elaborate...
2. Likewise, unless you install Knoppix on the hard drive, at which point it becomes Debian, you can't install any other programs.
All of the above are based on Knoppix 3.3. Did that answer your question?
-
Yeah you answered very helpfully. All your assumptions were correct. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I can live with it. I have a lot of learning to do.
Similar Threads
-
By thrustan in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
-
By cabobrett in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
-
By d_jedi in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
-
By pez_king in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM
-
By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00