Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Knoppix optimised for Network security

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix optimised for Network security

    .

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    This is exactly the system I have been meaning to create. Dump all the games and I'm sure we can fit these on. I know many are already in the regular system.

    I have used most of these and would like to get comments from other more experienced admins on their favorite tools.

    Mike

    airsnort
    amap
    arping
    cheops
    etherape
    ethereal
    fping
    gipsc
    ipfm
    ipsc
    iptraf
    kismet
    mrtg
    nbtscan
    netsaint
    ntop
    pchar
    snort
    tcpdump

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    43
    Some of my favorite tools are:

    tcptraceroute
    iplog
    arping
    portsentry

    Note that Red Hat released a program arping which is NOT the one I like, but rather there is another one that allows you to ping addresses by just giving an ARP address.

    You might wish to note that the latest release has the following already:

    kismet
    tcpdump
    iptraf
    ethereal
    airsnort

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    19
    You might wish to note that the latest release has the following already:

    kismet
    tcpdump
    iptraf
    ethereal
    airsnort
    However, Kismet in 3.1 is only a 1.4 version and I been having issues getting it working properly.

    As for tools on the custome knoppix... don't forget MTR ... great traceroute util

    BTW... what is the current status of this project?? I am very interested.
    Thanks!

    Min

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96

    Done

    Glad you asked, cause I've been meaning to post. I remastered by removing all the foreign language (non-English) KDE files to make room. I added all the packages posted here. Of course many need more configuring to work from the CD, but they do work. If there was someplace to upload my iso I'd be happy to.

    I believe mtr is already there. I don't remember installing it and it ran when when I started it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    19
    cool!
    Yeah I would love to get a copy of your new ISO.
    Does Kismet work on your ISO? If so what version of Kismet is it?

    As for servers... I don't know where you can put it, but I can probably set some space aside on my home ftp tonight if you are interested. Email me or IM me and I can get it setup. Also you might want to think about using BitTorrent to distribute instead of hosting it on one single FTP.

    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/index.html

    Thanks
    Min

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    .

    .

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    19

    any update?

    mmaki,
    Any news on your custom system util tools version of Knoppix?
    Which version of Kismet are you using??

    Thank
    Min

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Sorry for the delay in reply, I though I would be notified of replies. Seems that works sometimes and not others. Anyway, I have v 2.6.2-6 of kismet. I have not tried it from CD. I know it works from a HD install. I'll try it from CD and let you know.

    I'll check out BitTorrent too.

    Mike

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    19
    cool ... looking forward to it.

    Thanks

    min

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix security
    By lordb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
  2. Default network security on knoppix
    By ezuk in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:42 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
  4. Knoppix Security
    By Bd84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  5. Knoppix and security
    By WT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99