Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Knoppix optimised for Network security

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    19
    FYI... With the new version of Knoppix, kismet 2.6 works great!!!

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5

    ica

    maybe it is a good idea to add the Citrix ICA client, behind the present rdp and vnc clients?

  3. #13

    NTFS!

    Don't forget the NTFS tools. It can come in handy to be able to use ntfsresize.

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    What are the NTFS tools? Please list them here and I'll try to include them.

  5. #15

    NTFS URL

    They are available at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/.

    Some of them are experimental, but they are fairly small in size, so it's worth including as many as possible.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1
    Don't forget to install the chkrootkit tools as well. These would be very useful to me.

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    16
    Anyone still interested on this ?
    I guess I will be picking up on this to create my own security/forensic/etc tool kit.
    But it would be nice to get some help

    Like suggestion on how to add modules easily. I think morphix is a nice idea but I would like to use the standard Knoppix release as there seem to be a lot of updates on drivers, etc.

    All I need is to make a standard list of apps to remove (eg open office, kde organizer, etc) to make way for the security modules/packages.

    Any comments?

    Thanks!

  8. #18
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    I still have the remaster I did that contains the packages I listed in the 2nd posting of this thread. I have been meaning to post it with BitTorrent but have not yet. I would actually like to remaster it with the latest 3.2 but .... gotta find the time.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    1
    I built a re-master of Knoppix 3.2 with as many of the "Top 75" list at insecure.org as I could....

    All I did was do an apt-get install on all the packages by name. So, only the latest version with Debian packages out there were installed. Next revision, perhaps I will put some effort into the apps. I put the real effort into actually doing the re-mastering.

    I took regular Knoppix and removed the foreign KDE locales (afterall *I* am American, everything should be the way *I* want it. ). This gave me more than enough space to add:

    Snort (with default rules)
    dsniff
    whisker
    John The Ripper
    Nikto
    nbtscan
    Xprobe2
    Ngrep
    THC-Amap
    Nemesis
    fragroute
    fping
    TCPtraceroute
    tcpreplay

    --------------------------------------------
    Knoppix 3.2 already included:

    Nessus
    Ethereal
    Netcat
    tcpdump
    hping2
    ettercap
    openssh
    Kismet
    airsnort
    GPG
    Perl
    OpenSSL
    lsof
    hunt
    stunnel
    The Coroner's Toolkit
    arpwatch
    dig


    The rest of the Top 75 were either for Windows, were not "free", were not available as Debian packages or didn't really apply to a LiveCD distro (like firewalls, other OSes, etc).

    I am more than happy to share the end result. I just don't have a fat enough pipe to share the iso out on my own network. Perhaps soon I will, and perhaps by then I'll have made the re-master even better.


    Mike
    PS: Thanks to the Knopper team for the AWESOME distro.

  10. #20
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    14
    I also have a customization like this nearly done: Knoppix-STD (security tools distribution). It includes tools organized as follows (a lot of these come with Knoppix by default):

    cracker: john with custom dictionary and AFS,NTLM,MySQL patches
    crypto: openssl, gnupg, stunnel, etc
    firewall: iptables & gtkiptables
    forensics: sleuthkit, autopsy, fenris
    honeypot: honeyd, labrea
    ids: snort, aide, syslog
    net-utils: etherape, ntop, cheops, arpwatch, etc
    pen-test: many many pen test tools
    servers: dns, irc, xinetd, apache, cryptcat, samba, etc.
    sniffers & assemblers: ethereal, tcpdump, ngrep, netsed, paketto, ettercap, etc.
    vuln-test: amap, nmap, nessus, snot, hping2, chkrootkit. nbtscan, etc.
    wireless: airsnort, kismet, wavemon, wardrive, patched orinoco

    hardly a complete list, but you get the idea. I'm trying to score some hosting now. I'll post a general announcement and to this thread when it's up. I'm hoping to have it up by June 1st.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix security
    By lordb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
  2. Default network security on knoppix
    By ezuk in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:42 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
  4. Knoppix Security
    By Bd84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  5. Knoppix and security
    By WT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99