-
Junior Member
registered user
knoppix 3.3 feb edition will not compile kernel
Whenever I try to compile any kernel (with default config or otherwise) on the feb edition of knoppix 3.3, make always exits with error 2. The beta edition would compile the kernel sources, but the sound wouldn't work. Has anyone had a problem with this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: knoppix 3.3 feb edition will not compile kernel

Originally Posted by
coindood
Whenever I try to compile any kernel (with default config or otherwise) on the feb edition of knoppix 3.3, make always exits with error 2.
Do you mean something like this?
root@abc:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
HOSTCC scripts/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:130,
from /usr/include/limits.h:144,
from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/include/limits.h:122,
from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/include/syslimits.h:7,
from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/include/limits.h:11,
from scripts/fixdep.c:105:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: linux/limits.h: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa e
i ole
scripts/fixdep.c: In function `use_config':
scripts/fixdep.c:193: error: `PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/fixdep.c:193: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scripts/fixdep.c:193: error: for each function it appears in.)
scripts/fixdep.c:193: warning: unused variable `s'
scripts/fixdep.c: In function `parse_dep_file':
scripts/fixdep.c:289: error: `PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/fixdep.c:289: warning: unused variable `s'
make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
root@abc:/usr/src/linux
Make sure you have right asm symlink in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.x/iinclude pointing to asm-i386:
root@abc:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.4/include# la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2004-04-05 19:27 asm -> asm-i386
There could be something wrong with symbolic link /usr/include/asm too (kernel headers).
You have removed old symlink linux 'rm -f linux' and made a new one pointing to your new kernel-source, e.g 'ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.5 linux'?
I have also had difficulties to compile the new kernel but after playing some times with asm and asm-generic symlinks I have succeeded. But there's something wrong somewhere, I agree.
-
Senior Member
registered user
coindood, welcome to the fold
and if you want, check out posts under my nick. I did about a dozen kernel compiles and almost as many installs trying to get lm sensors to work with the last knoppix kernel - 2.4.24-xfs. Though I managed to trick out and get them to boot, programs would not compile without error against that kernel.
I am far from a distro proselitzer (sp?) but I finally switched to Kanotix (knoppix derivative) where the developer had a script for installing proper kernel source after a hd install and it works! I cannot believe how much smoother things are going. Including the dreaded lm sensors!
Everyone who responded to me that had been successful with lm sensors (which absolutely positively needs the running kernel source) had been running 2.2 or 2.4.22, not 2.4.24, as far as I can see. You might want to give the kanotix a try. It is still a baby comparatively (yes, it is wonderful kanotix fans!) and you cannot beat kano's script for getting the source kernel installed.
Knoppix is fabulous, but if you need kernel source on it, your best bet is http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppi...Custom_all.deb
I think a lot of programs will compile against it - lm sensors is the only one I know personally won't.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: knoppix 3.3 feb edition will not compile kernel

Originally Posted by
tr
I have also had difficulties to compile the new kernel.
I think the problem is with linux-kernel-headers-knoppix. After removing it and installing linux-kernel-heades with Apt, no problem with 'make menuconfig' anymore
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks, everybody. I have been able to compile the kernel, but whenever I boot up, I get a fatal error saying it cannot mount the filesystem and just hangs there. I don't know what's wrong!
-
Junior Member
registered user
You are unable to mount the filesystem because Knoppix by default loads filesystem modules through initrd.
Try compiling your filesystem modules directly into your kernel.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
-
By davidwahlstedt in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:42 PM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
-
By nhoxanh in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 04:23 AM
-
By thincritter in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01