Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: 48 megs with X

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49

    48 megs with X

    I started out with Model-K, hacked out a few more packages (ISDN, and dialup support), added X, and added the very small kdrive Xvesa. That got X working, though I'd like to add some configuration options. The Kdrive servers only work with command line options

    After that I added Links Hacked, which is a great little browser -- it does js, ssl, http, ftp, frames, cookies, http Auth, but is still rather small. I compiled it on host host machine, then moved it over to the chrooted dir and apt-get'ed the dependencies.

    Added basic X utilities...

    Added nVi, which is a Vi small clone...

    Added tinyirc...

    That got me over 55M, so then I went on the hunt for logs, temp files and docs to remove. I finally got under 50M when I purged the apt cache, I figured it is easy enough to rebuild.

    I did it mostly to see if it was possible within the KNOPPIX framework. It is not really on par with lnx-bbc, though I like my choice of browsers better.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Nice hack! A perfect fit for on a creditcard CDR!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    [edit]
    Whoops, once was enough

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    41

    Model-k X-hack

    Very nice, that is why I'm making the Modularity System. Would you be willing to write up the changes and send the X-hack Model-k to me so that I can host it for the world to use?

    BTW I'm working on Model-K 0.6.0 this will be under 25 megs if it kills me.<g> Replacing some most of the function with Busybox and Tinylogon.

    Still debating on the apt-get / dpkg monster. This is the main thing keeping the size at 30Megs.

    Contact me via email to discuss it more.

    Thanks
    Avid

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    How is modularity going btw?
    i'm putting most of my efforts into getting modules to work well enough, but my 33meg base is still quite fat. apt is quite small imho, just made sure i remove all the apt-cruft. The kernel modules are also quite large together with all those libs (using busybox is a very good idea, was trying to use it in the 2.88meg bootimage)

    [edit] typos

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    41

    Modularity and apt-cruft

    As I said still working toward my base system I'm not happy with 33 megs. My first computer was a 386 with only a 20 meg hard drive. I know the Modules are a pain but are needed for the system to run in "any machine".

    Please expand on what you mean by apt-cruft. The problem with dpkg is that once installed it starts keep many falt file dbases for every package, file, conf, etc. on the system.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Yups, thats why i'm trying to make a fatter kernel with the most commonly used modules, guess the size alltogether depends on your target-users though

    Oh, about the cruft: i've placed a package tools.tar.gz with a apt-strip (not what you think ) script, it removes all but the most needed files (backups, package lists etc), while still being able to revive apt with an update. You remain with one big textfile (status) for the current packages, but it compresses nicely. Dunno if you already made something similar...

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    I want to do a bit more hacking when it comes to setting Xvesa's resolution. It is set like such:
    -screen widthxheight[xdepth] (-screen 1240x1024x24)
    It is simple to plug it into the startx script, but I'm going to write a small script that has pre-selected modes to choose from. The Kdrive Xvesa server is a bit slow but it can do very good resolution.

    I burned it to a business size disk. It was advertised as having 50 megs of space, but actually had 55 megs. Is that typical? If so, it gives me some room to add an ssh and ftp client and maybe a small file manager.

    I'll definitely throw it your way after I hack in the screen settings, I don't really have any other place to host it.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    44
    I would definately love to get my hands on something like that once I get this whole loading into ram thing figured out, that would be a perfect candidate for it.. I'm sure running out of ram would compensate for any speed loss

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    41

    Model-K Modularity.org

    YES!!! :P

    I'm very happy to announce Model-k, Modularity.org's base system is now only 20 Megs.

    There is still the matter of rebuilding the dpkg status file to account for the installed program but then I should be able to release it for testing.

    Please email me if you just must see it before the release this weekend (or next at the lastest).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$120.73



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00